Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
epr epr is offline

Default Range.find performance

my project involves parsing large number of excel files. and looking for
keywords in each file, I am wondering if this could be a performace issue, to
call the Find function requently.

the other approach i've seen is to get the contents into an array ans work
off that array to gain efficiency.

any experience to share?

thanks.

--
epr
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The FIND function from my experience works very efficiently. The functions
to load an array I don't think are as efficient and will use lots of memory.
Depending on how you computer is set up when large amount of memory is used
the pages get swapped onto disk when they aren't used. The swapping process
if very inefficient.

There are also ways of reading an excel file without opening the file which
may increase the speed of the code. This method uses database commands to
look at the file. When people have large databases that are shared you don't
want everybody trying to open these files and they can't be written when they
are opened. I never compared the speed of accessing opened excel files with
closed excel files.