Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default macro = Can't perform requested requested operation

I was editing a macro. Suddenly said the "Can't perform etc." when tried
to run it in the editor. Backed out without saving and closed
everything. Opened... and it won't run or step into without the same
message.

If I click the button on the spreadsheet to run it it says it can't find
the macro. The macro is listed in the macro section along with other
macros. When I choose this particular macro the run is blanked out.

Baffling... what do I do now?
Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jul 23, 10:43*am, John wrote:
I was editing a macro. Suddenly said the "Can't perform etc." when tried
to run it in the editor. Backed out without saving and closed
everything. Opened... and it won't run or step into without the same
message.

If I click the button on the spreadsheet to run it it says it can't find
the macro. The macro is listed in the macro section along with other
macros. When I choose this particular macro the run is blanked out.

Baffling... what do I do now?
Thanks
John

I'd recommend the following...

Export the modules and insert the code into a new workbook.

or you can try...

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

~ Cheers ~
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What version of Excel are you running and what kind of things was the
macro doing?

I've recently been automatically creating instances of Excel and
sometimes when the code in development fails to close them some do not
appear and become orphaned ghosts and only show up in the process list
on Task Manager. A reboot clears them.

John wrote:
I can't export it because I can't get into it. Excel says it can't find
it even though it is listed under macros.
John

wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:43 am, John wrote:
I was editing a macro. Suddenly said the "Can't perform etc." when tried
to run it in the editor. Backed out without saving and closed
everything. Opened... and it won't run or step into without the same
message.

If I click the button on the spreadsheet to run it it says it can't find
the macro. The macro is listed in the macro section along with other
macros. When I choose this particular macro the run is blanked out.

Baffling... what do I do now?
Thanks
John

I'd recommend the following...

Export the modules and insert the code into a new workbook.

or you can try...

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

~ Cheers ~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Office 2003 excel. I was debugging the macro. It had run, found an error
and I had added some code forgetting to reset the run. From what I've
read (which is very little) that caused the problem. From then on the
macro was grayed out in the macro list. If I tried to step into it it
said excel couldn't find it.

I couldn't get into the macro because it was grayed out. I solved this
by opening all the other macros. Then I could page through and found the
offending macro. It still reported the same error and I couldn't get it
to run. So I copied it. Opened a new macro, pasted to that and named it
something else. Then I deleted the old macro and everything seems to be
fine now.

I guess the lesson is to reset the run in the macro editor before adding
code.

I'm surprised I couldn't find any help, suggestions or other instances
of this using google or Microsoft. I must be truly unlucky.

JOhn