Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code is skipping stepps

Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

what does Vlbl say (coding)?
susan

On Jul 18, 1:19*pm, KWhamill
wrote:
* Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
* * * * Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
* * * * * * If Crnc Is Nothing Then
* * * * * * * * GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
* * * * * * * *Curr *<------This is the Sub it's skipping
* * * * * * End If
* * End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Goto is a very bad coding practice. What goto does is it takes you to a
different section of code. It does not return you back when that section of
code is complete. Goto statements are good for error handling or in the very
rare (and I mean extremely rare) case where it improves performance. I
personally have never had a large enough performance gain using it that I
ever put it into production code.

Perhaps a procedure call or such would be more approptiate...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"KWhamill" wrote:

Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The whole goal of goto in this application is Error handling. If the Find
doesn't locate "curr" then we skip the Sub "Crnc" and go to the next sub.
Here is a little bit more of it to help clear things up:

MCA <----- A Sub which finds data on the source worksheet and transfer it
to the target worksheet
With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7") <-------The source worksheet
Set C = .Find(what:="Curr", LookIn:=xlValues)
If C Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <----label for The next Sub
Crnc <-------- Sub Looks for "Curr" on the source and returns
any values in that column
End If
End With
Vlbl: ValName

Sorry about the changes i'm cleaning up and making changes as i work. I
would appreciate any ideas that might make this thing work. there are several
of these
THnaks,
Karl

"KWhamill" wrote:

Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you change

GoTo Vlbl

Call Vlbl

and add

Call Crnc

then it will call & run Vlbl, and when finished, return here to call &
run Crnc.
if it doesn't find "Curr", it skips both subs and goes to End If.
i think that's what you want.
(personally i hate to see a macro name just hanging out there like
"Crnc" with no indication of what it is or what you're doing with it.
that's why i always use "Call" in front of it - it's clearer, but not
necessary.)
hope it helps
susan

"KWhamill" wrote:

* Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
* * * * Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
* * * * * * If Crnc Is Nothing Then
* * * * * * * * GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
* * * * * * * *Curr *<------This is the Sub it's skipping
* * * * * * End If
* * End With- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for those tips, I'm in the process of cleaning up this Macro and
making it work and I have made some of the following changes.
1 the If statement should be If/then/else. the Else is what was missing so
now it Reads Else Crnc and it works. So in a sence you're right Vba just
Didn't know what todo with Crnc.
2 I'm in the process of going through and adding comments its a long code so
i am not done yet
So for clarity here is the corrected bit of script:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Cr = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Cr Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vs
Else: Crnc 'Copy Currency if applicable
End If
End With
Also because you asked here is what the Sub Does. it looks on the source
worksheet for the Column Label Currency and Copies what ever it finds below
that and pastes it to the target worksheet. Vlbl does the same but looks for
something else.
Any siggestions on how to make this thing work better would be vastly
appreciated
Thank you,
Karl

"KWhamill" wrote:

Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Going by what code you chose to put in your post, if Crnc is, in fact,
nothing, then you would have gotten an error in the "Set Crnc =" line. If
Crnc is something, which it is because you didn't get the error, then your
IF statement will ALWAYS skip the call to "Curr". ALWAYS. But, then again,
the GoTo statement that you have immediately before the call to "Curr"
guarantees that the code will never get to the call to "Curr". I don't know
the logic of your code, but maybe you need an "Else" before the call to
"Curr". HTH Otto
"KWhamill" wrote in message
Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is only an error if the system throws an error. What you have is a
potentialy expected result. An error would be something like Runtime Error:
1004 Subsctript out of range... or such. Errors halt execution. IMO you are
using Goto in a very bad way.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"KWhamill" wrote:

Apparently I have told the Code to skip this step I just don't know what i
did wrong:

With Worksheets("Entries").Rows("1:7")
Set Crnc = .Find(what:="Currency", LookIn:=xlValues)
If Crnc Is Nothing Then
GoTo Vlbl <--------It goes straight here
Curr <------This is the Sub it's skipping
End If
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
You make a good point but, when you search for something or you use Find,
the system treats it like an error when it can't find it, You'll get a run
time error about an Unspecified Variable or something like that. So i need an
if statement to handle the error and just skip that sub. obviously if the
thing i am looking for is not there then I don't need to do anything with it.
I'm not trying to argue that the GoTo is the best or only choice, I am hardly
an expert. I'm all about learning so if there is an alternative I'm all
ears, or in this case eyes.
R,
Karl