Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CAM CAM is offline

Default copy & paste combo box

Hello,

I have a worksheet that contains about 300 rows in one column the user has
to input an account number. This is an expense report. My problem is that
the user always seems to never enter the account numberget correctly . I
seems that there always short by couple of digits. So I decide that I want
to put a combo box in all of the 300 rows, but the problem is how do I copy
and paste 299 rows of the combo box and have it properly reflect the cell
link to the proper cell in the row and stay in the cell without moving it?
Later I want to copy the rows to another worksheets, but the rows may vary.
Also do I have to be concern with the =Index() as well?. I am using Excel
2003. Any tips will be appreicated. Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You might try using a Data Validation List. I'm assuming you have the
account numbers in a column somewhere (if not, you will have to put them on
a worksheet somewhere where they can be referenced). Select your 300 rows
(or more if you expect to need have more data entry rows in the future) in
the column where the accounts will be entered and click on Data/Validation
in Excel's menu bar. On the Settings tab (on the dialog box that appears),
select List under the "Allow" drop-down and enter your reference for the
column of account numbers. You can customize messages on the other tabs if
you want; but, at this point, you are basic done. OK your way back to the
worksheet. When the user clicks in one of the cells that you applied the
data validation to, he/she will be able to select the account number from
the drop-down arrow that appears next to the selected cell or he/she can
type it in. If what they type in is not on the list, they get a message
(these are what I indicated you can customize if you wanted to) indicating
an error was made in their entry.

Rick