Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Macro Dist.

Good Morning Everyone!

I have a quick question regarding the distribution of macros.

In the office where I am located we have employees who aren't exactly as
computer literate as we'd like them to be. Therefore, giving them
instructions on how to manually input the provided code into the VBA editor
would be tedious and time consuming.

I'm wondering if there is a way to neatly package these macros and deliver
them across a network of employees, such as a .exe file of some sort. I know
that you can create buttons to execute the macro, so I'm thinking that if I
create an Excel file with the buttons and some instructions it'll work out,
but will the macro code be sent along with the Excel file?

Thanks for the help!!

-Joseph, IBT Employee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would suggest creating an Add-in with the macros.
When the Add-in is loaded, have it create a top menu item with all your
macros listed for easy reference by your not quite literate fellow employees.
John Walkenbach has some great books that reference Add-ins.
'Power Programming with VBA':
For 2003, see...
http://j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm
For 2007, see...
http://j-walk.com/ss/books/index.htm

John's general site is...
http://www.j-walk.com/

--
Hope this helps.
If this post was helpfull, please remember to click on the ''''YES''''

"IBT Employee" wrote:

Good Morning Everyone!

I have a quick question regarding the distribution of macros.

In the office where I am located we have employees who aren't exactly as
computer literate as we'd like them to be. Therefore, giving them
instructions on how to manually input the provided code into the VBA editor
would be tedious and time consuming.

I'm wondering if there is a way to neatly package these macros and deliver
them across a network of employees, such as a .exe file of some sort. I know
that you can create buttons to execute the macro, so I'm thinking that if I
create an Excel file with the buttons and some instructions it'll work out,
but will the macro code be sent along with the Excel file?

Thanks for the help!!

-Joseph, IBT Employee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joseph,

A comprehensive article about distributing macros in a reliable way:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/DistributeMacro00.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"IBT Employee" wrote in message ...
| Good Morning Everyone!
|
| I have a quick question regarding the distribution of macros.
|
| In the office where I am located we have employees who aren't exactly as
| computer literate as we'd like them to be. Therefore, giving them
| instructions on how to manually input the provided code into the VBA editor
| would be tedious and time consuming.
|
| I'm wondering if there is a way to neatly package these macros and deliver
| them across a network of employees, such as a .exe file of some sort. I know
| that you can create buttons to execute the macro, so I'm thinking that if I
| create an Excel file with the buttons and some instructions it'll work out,
| but will the macro code be sent along with the Excel file?
|
| Thanks for the help!!
|
| -Joseph, IBT Employee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not enough information to be very specific, but generally speaking for
shared code an addin is the way to go. How you distribute and maintain it
depends on your needs.

OTOH if this is a one-time project you may be able to get away with emailing
the workbook. Macros are stored wherever you have stored them. If you record
a macro you can store them in the Personal Macro Workbook (which I never
do), or ThisWorkbook or a new workbook. Toolbars are better created
programmatically rather than "attached" to a workbook.

--
Tim Zych
www.higherdata.com