Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need Help Looping through a file

Hi,

I have tried to make some code that will search through a file and
move rows based on certain criteria to new spreadsheets. Code as
follows:

Sub life_file()

If Range("x1").Value Or Range("ae1").Value Or Range("ah1").Value 0
Then
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy
Sheets("LIFE").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Sheets("EOI_TEST").Select
ElseIf Range("aa1").Value Or Range("ac1").Value 0 Then
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy
Sheets("LTD_STD").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
ElseIf Range("x1").Value And Range("ae1").Value And Range("ah1").Value
And _
Range("aa1").Value And Range("ac1").Value 0 Then
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy
Sheets("LIFE").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Sheets("LTD_STD").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

The problem is that I can only make it look at the first row on my
file. There could be a varying number of rows on the file so i can't
just sent a specific range for the macro to look at. I'm not sure how
to make it loop through until all rows have been looked at. Can some
one help?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is this what you want?

Sub life_file()
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim i As Long

With ActiveSheet

LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "X").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To LastRow

If .Cells(i, "X").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AE").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AH").Value 0 Then
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LIFE").Range("A1")

ElseIf .Cells(i, "AA").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AC").Value 0 Then
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LTD_STD").Range("A1")

ElseIf .Cells(i, "X").Value 0 And _
.Cells(i, "AE").Value 0 And _
.Cells(i, "AH").Value 0 And _
.Cells(i, "AA1").Value 0 And _
.Cells(i, "AC").Value 0 Then
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LIFE").Range("A1")
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LTD_STD").Range("A1")
End If
Next i
End With

HTH

Bob

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...do I need to qualifiy the
range? Gah, I'm such a noob at this and am trying to pick it up on
the fly. I put in the 0 on each range.

But it is only moving the last row on the file and is not moving the
other rows.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Looks like Bob gave you a good answer to work with.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dagonini" wrote in message
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...do I need to qualifiy the
range? Gah, I'm such a noob at this and am trying to pick it up on
the fly. I put in the 0 on each range.

But it is only moving the last row on the file and is not moving the
other rows.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I try using Bob's it still only pastes the last row on the file
into a new spreadsheet. I
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If desired, send your workbook to my address below along with snippets of
these msgs, a clear explanation of what you want and examples of
before/after

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dagonini" wrote in message
When I try using Bob's it still only pastes the last row on the file
into a new spreadsheet. I

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

She said

the numbers in Columns X, AE, AH are Life volume coverages. If any one of
those fields is filled in with a volume then I need the record to be copied
to the LIFE spreadsheet. For example in the first record on the test file
column X has 210000. that means that the entire row needs to be copied to
the LIFE spreadsheet. That row also has 60 in column AA (which is STD) so
it needs to also be moved to the LTD_STD spreadsheet.

The second record has X empty but there is 55000 in column AE so it also
needs to be moved to the LIFE spreadsheet. There is also a 60 in column AC
so the record needs to go to the LTD_STD spreadsheet.

I sent this to copy to one or both as indicated from above
x,ae,ah to life
aa,ac to the other
if both, then both

Sub life_fileDON()
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim i As Long

'clear destination rows
rowlife = Sheets("LIFE").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
Sheets("LIFE").Rows("1:" & rowlife).ClearContents
rowltd = Sheets("LTD_STD").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
Sheets("LTD_STD").Rows("1:" & rowltd).ClearContents

With Sheet1
LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "X").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To LastRow

rowlife = Sheets("LIFE").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
rowltd = Sheets("LTD_STD").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
If .Cells(i, "X").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AE").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AH").Value 0 Then
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LIFE").Cells(rowlife, 1)
End If

If .Cells(i, "AA").Value 0 Or _
.Cells(i, "AC").Value 0 Then
.Rows(i).Copy Sheets("LTD_STD").Cells(rowltd, 1)
End If

Next i
End With

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Dagonini" wrote in message
When I try using Bob's it still only pastes the last row on the file
into a new spreadsheet. I

About my looping jonathan Excel Programming 3 July 31st 07 02:48 PM
Looping through folders and using the first file in each folder Conan Kelly Excel Programming 2 September 28th 06 04:23 AM
Looping Gusset Gadder Excel Programming 2 December 11th 04 09:16 PM
Looping René Excel Programming 6 May 28th 04 02:14 PM
Looping though *.xls files except for the main consolidation file Thomas[_14_] Excel Programming 5 April 28th 04 04:17 PM