Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default countif across worksheets

I'm trying to count then occurences of "C" in the same column on 13
different worksheets (same workbook) named Q1 to Q13. I did a countif
on each sheet, then entered the following formula in a summary sheet:
=sum(Q1:Q13!C65)
I'm getting a #VALUE error because XL keeps inserting single quotes
into my formula so it becomes
=sum(Q1:'Q13'!C65)

Does anyone know why XL is editing my forumla this way? Is there a
workaround?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=SUM('Q1:Q13'!A1)

Put the single quotes in yourself. Without them, I suspect Excel gets
confused thinking this is a cell reference rather than a sheet name. Worked
for me.

Tom Ogilvy

"davegb" wrote:

I'm trying to count then occurences of "C" in the same column on 13
different worksheets (same workbook) named Q1 to Q13. I did a countif
on each sheet, then entered the following formula in a summary sheet:
=sum(Q1:Q13!C65)
I'm getting a #VALUE error because XL keeps inserting single quotes
into my formula so it becomes
=sum(Q1:'Q13'!C65)

Does anyone know why XL is editing my forumla this way? Is there a
workaround?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:58:13 -0700 (PDT), davegb
wrote:

I'm trying to count then occurences of "C" in the same column on 13
different worksheets (same workbook) named Q1 to Q13. I did a countif
on each sheet, then entered the following formula in a summary sheet:
=sum(Q1:Q13!C65)
I'm getting a #VALUE error because XL keeps inserting single quotes
into my formula so it becomes
=sum(Q1:'Q13'!C65)

Does anyone know why XL is editing my forumla this way? Is there a
workaround?
Thanks.

Try moving the first quote to the beginning, like this:

=sum('Q1:Q3'!C65)

Hope this helps/ Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I tested with A1 to verify my suspicions, so to alleviate any
confusion:

=sum('Q1:Q13'!C65)

Tom Ogilvy

"davegb" wrote:

I'm trying to count then occurences of "C" in the same column on 13
different worksheets (same workbook) named Q1 to Q13. I did a countif
on each sheet, then entered the following formula in a summary sheet:
=sum(Q1:Q13!C65)
I'm getting a #VALUE error because XL keeps inserting single quotes
into my formula so it becomes
=sum(Q1:'Q13'!C65)

Does anyone know why XL is editing my forumla this way? Is there a
workaround?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"davegb" wrote:
I'm trying to count then occurences of "C" in the same column on 13
different worksheets (same workbook) named Q1 to Q13. I did a countif
on each sheet, then entered the following formula in a summary sheet:
=sum(Q1:Q13!C65)
I'm getting a #VALUE error because XL keeps inserting single quotes
into my formula so it becomes
=sum(Q1:'Q13'!C65)

Does anyone know why XL is editing my forumla this way? Is there a
workaround?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all. That did the trick!