Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Convert numbers to words, 3=ship, so if I enter 3, it says ship.

I have a huge list of numbers that each signify a different place. How can I
covert this is excel without doing it myself- looking up the location from
the code and typing it in- too time consuming.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ctrl + H is find and replace, find "3", replace with "Ship" etc.

"Erin Briana" wrote:

I have a huge list of numbers that each signify a different place. How can I
covert this is excel without doing it myself- looking up the location from
the code and typing it in- too time consuming.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A simple way would be with a Lookup formula in an adjacent (or nearby)
column to your numbers. Eg enter your number in A1 and put this in B1 and
copy down.

=VLOOKUP(A1,List,2)

"List" is a 2 column wide named range that contains your numbers and words

Later you could copy the formula cells and pastespecial values back if you
want.

Regards,
Peter T

"Erin Briana" <Erin wrote in message
I have a huge list of numbers that each signify a different place. How can

covert this is excel without doing it myself- looking up the location from
the code and typing it in- too time consuming.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VLOOKUP formula and a lookup table?

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for info on VLOOKUP function to pull data based on
value. Note the downloadable sample workbooks.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Also see Debra's site for info on Data Validation selection lists for inputting
the data if need be.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP