Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Math function...

I hope there is a simple fix to this. I am trying to subtract two columns...

D8 - E8 =F8

F8 equation is this =E8-D8

In D8, throughout the spread sheet has a couple of lines with text opposed
to numbers....in this case, I am presented with #VALUE!. Management does not
want the text to go away. In other words, they want to see the reason there
is no price in that cell. Is there a way to Null out the text so I can only
show the number value in E8 and display the amount in F8???

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jacob
Try this - it tests to see if numbers exist before the subtraction takes
place.

Numbers are in C3 and D3.

=IF(ISNUMBER(C3),IF( ISNUMBER(D3),C3-D3,C3),C3)

HTH

Andrew Bourke

"Jacob" wrote in message
I hope there is a simple fix to this. I am trying to subtract two
columns...

D8 - E8 =F8

F8 equation is this =E8-D8

In D8, throughout the spread sheet has a couple of lines with text opposed
to numbers....in this case, I am presented with #VALUE!. Management does
not want the text to go away. In other words, they want to see the reason
there is no price in that cell. Is there a way to Null out the text so I
can only show the number value in E8 and display the amount in F8???

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=IF(ISNUMBER(D8),D8-E8,D8)
or maybe
=IF(ISERROR(E8-D8),"",E8-D8)