Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Spreading numbers from one cell to others

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have rows of cells, each contains a date i.e. 3/18/08 (some dates
are formatted as such: 3-18-08). I believe however that excel
recognizes them as text or numbers not as actual dates though.

So, let's say the text is 3/18/08. This is all in cell A1. Is there
any way I can get excel to automatically input into cell B1: 3, into
cell C1: 18, and into cell D1: 08?

It doesn't seem like much of a chore but when you've got thousands of
rows of dates, it gets a bit tedious to do it by hand. The thing is,
I copy this dated information from a word file, and obviously each
date (in a seperate line in Word), gets copied into one cell.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If they are text, then use Text to columns to fill each cell.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007i

" wrote:

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have rows of cells, each contains a date i.e. 3/18/08 (some dates
are formatted as such: 3-18-08). I believe however that excel
recognizes them as text or numbers not as actual dates though.

So, let's say the text is 3/18/08. This is all in cell A1. Is there
any way I can get excel to automatically input into cell B1: 3, into
cell C1: 18, and into cell D1: 08?

It doesn't seem like much of a chore but when you've got thousands of
rows of dates, it gets a bit tedious to do it by hand. The thing is,
I copy this dated information from a word file, and obviously each
date (in a seperate line in Word), gets copied into one cell.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi TheIliad,

In addition to the excellent suggestion by
Gary's student, If you want to convert
your text dates into Excel recognised dates:

Select the date column
Menu | Data | Text to Columns |
Delimited | Next | Renove all delimiters
Next | Select: Date | Select MDY option |
Finish

---
Regards.
Norman

wrote in message
Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have rows of cells, each contains a date i.e. 3/18/08 (some dates
are formatted as such: 3-18-08). I believe however that excel
recognizes them as text or numbers not as actual dates though.

So, let's say the text is 3/18/08. This is all in cell A1. Is there
any way I can get excel to automatically input into cell B1: 3, into
cell C1: 18, and into cell D1: 08?

It doesn't seem like much of a chore but when you've got thousands of
rows of dates, it gets a bit tedious to do it by hand. The thing is,
I copy this dated information from a word file, and obviously each
date (in a seperate line in Word), gets copied into one cell.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As long as the cells contain valid dates, whether or not they are formatted
as Text, this will work.

in B1, C1, D1 enter

=MONTH(A1)
=DAY(A1)
=YEAR(A1) or for 2-digit year use =RIGHT(YEAR(A1),2)

then copy B1:D1 down to the last row.

HTH
Charlie