Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to distribute your macro?

What is the best way to send a macro to colleagues that don't know how to
program in VBA? Until now I only made macro's for myself and just put them in
a custom menu, but that doesn't work for colleagues of course...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hans,

See Jan Karel Pieterse's extensive tutorial at:

Creating An Add-in
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/DistributeMacro00.htm

See also:

Updating An add-in Through the Internet
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/UpdateAnAddin.asp

and

Installing An Excel Add-in Using Setup Factory
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/Addi...tupFactory.asp

---
Regards.
Norman

"Hans Hubers" wrote in message
What is the best way to send a macro to colleagues that don't know how to
program in VBA? Until now I only made macro's for myself and just put them
in
a custom menu, but that doesn't work for colleagues of course...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Personally, I like to put my macros in a workbook, using an Auto_Open event
to install a toolbar referencing the workbook macros. The end user can store
the workbook anywhere they want. They open the workbook, install the toolbar,
and access my macros via the toolbar. If I enhance the macro, I send the new
workbook to the user, they replace their copy with the new workbook, and the
toolbar continues to function. If I add a macro during the enhancement, I ask
them to re-open the workbook and install the toobar, which replaces the old
one, and give them access to the new macro.

In one case, I have a workbook, sitting on a intranet server, that 30+
people access at least once a week. Easier than installing add-ins for 25+ of
them, since there is only 5 in the group that know that Excel is more than a
spreadsheet viewer.

Alan

"Hans Hubers" wrote:

What is the best way to send a macro to colleagues that don't know how to
program in VBA? Until now I only made macro's for myself and just put them in
a custom menu, but that doesn't work for colleagues of course...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, indeed, well done. But what about an ActiveX control and the macro in
the workbook of the file. Would that work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hans,

I am tempted to say yes on both counts
but I have a suspicion that your question
may not be what it seems.

Perhaps you could give an explicit example.

---
Regards.
Norman

"Hans Hubers" wrote in message
Yes, indeed, well done. But what about an ActiveX control and the macro in
the workbook of the file. Would that work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, I want to send a spreadsheet to colleagues with a macro so they can use
it easily without explaining them how to customize the menu etc. So I guess
that with an ActiveX button and the code in the sheet part of the project it
should work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hans,

Try downloading Jan Karel Pieterse's