Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default odbc help!!!

I dont know anything about databases but I need to access one from a
spreadsheet.

When I try to open a db connection I get errors that seem to point to a
driver error.
Is there a standard driver for excel to use for odbc?

I am trying to access an oracle db. eventually It will be automated but
right now I'd just be happy to be able to access it manually.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nate,

See Ole P. Erlandsen at:

ADO Connection Strings
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...adacconnstring

For information on connection strings,
see Carl Prothman at:

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81

---
Regards.
Norman

"Kevin" wrote in message
I dont know anything about databases but I need to access one from a
spreadsheet.

When I try to open a db connection I get errors that seem to point to a
driver error.
Is there a standard driver for excel to use for odbc?

I am trying to access an oracle db. eventually It will be automated but
right now I'd just be happy to be able to access it manually.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 12, 9:31*am, Kevin wrote:
I dont know anything about databases but I need to access one from a
spreadsheet.

When I try to open a db connection I get errors that seem to point to a
driver error.
Is there a standard driver for excel to use for odbc?

I am trying to access an oracle db. *eventually It will be automated but
right now I'd just be happy to be able to access it manually.

Make sure that your DSN is set up properly in Control Panel (classic
view) Administrative Tools and that you have a System DSN for the
Oracle Driver. I don't have a preference between the Oracle and
Microsoft for Oracle drivers.

Your DBA will have to give you an Oracle account to log in and rights
to the appropriate schema.

Tim Mills-Groninger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have the Oracle client package installed ? Not enough just to have
the driver...
Or post the exact error message.

Tim