Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Finding Characters in a String

Novice
Excel 2003

Have a large text file (equipment log data) that I import using a macro
created by Chip Pearson (www.cpearson.com) called "ImportBigTextFile" that I
have modified slightly and it works fine.

The text files I'm working with have approx 180,000+ lines of data and the
above macro allows me to import data for 65,536 rows per sheet without
having to break up the original log file.

The imported data is tab-delimited and creates 6 columns of data (A to F)
with a header row:

"Date/Time" "EquipDesc" "Data-1" "Data-2" "Data-3" "Data-4"

Col B (EquipDesc) which has the equipment description is a string of data
similar to this:

"Route 1 Unit 25 Southbound"

I want to be able to find the equipment Unit number (1 - 30 which are always
characters 14 & 15 in the string) in each of the rows in col B on all the
sheets and then copy and paste the entire row into a different sheet
specifically for that Unit number (30 worksheets).

For 180,000+ rows of data, that means I have 3 sheets that already have
65,536 rows of imported data that are sorted by date/time, top-to bottom.
What I need is to find all entries for each Unit number (1-30) on each sheet
then copy those entries into it's own sheet. An example of how to find text
characters within a string would be most helpful.

The workbook already has the worksheets (Unit-1, Unit-2,.....Unit-30) set up
so as I sort down thru the rows of the 3 sheets of the imported data, I
would then do a Case Select on it and then paste that row of data onto it's
corresponding sheet (Unit-1 to Unit-30). I would include counters in the
Case Select statements to increment the row count for each sheet as each
entry is made.

Ideally, sorting the data during input and copying it to it's own worksheet
would be a better method probably but I can't figure out how to do that.
Anyone know of an example that would show that? Since there are 30 Units,
the max row entries per worksheet would be around 6,000 rows (times 30
worksheets) and I would not need the above routine for importing more than
64K rows.

Thanks for your time, comments and suggestions.

Bob S.