Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default compare 2columes of name

Please is there a way I can compare two columns of names and getting a true
or false response in the third column, the downside is that the names in each
column are a combination of first, middle and last names that have been
concatenated together (These comparison are in thousands). Help please. thanks

E.G
column 1 column 2
John M James Doug S Smith
Mike j john kate Johnson
Hans Kible Lilly T Hanson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you want a true if the name appears only in the same row....or anywhere
in the column?

Only in same row:
=A1=A2

Anywhere in the column.
=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,B1)=0,FALSE,TRUE)

HTH,
Paul

--

"Yossy" wrote in message
Please is there a way I can compare two columns of names and getting a
true
or false response in the third column, the downside is that the names in
each
column are a combination of first, middle and last names that have been
concatenated together (These comparison are in thousands). Help please.
thanks

E.G
column 1 column 2
John M James Doug S Smith
Mike j john kate Johnson
Hans Kible Lilly T Hanson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Each column name has respective ID. So I want to see their id which is on the
respective next column to the names. Also I wouldn't know if it is better to
compare without the name concatenate(using each last name, middle and last
name seperately).
Thanks so much for your help

"Mike H" wrote:

From your posted data what would you expect to see for each case in column 3?

Mike

"Yossy" wrote:

Please is there a way I can compare two columns of names and getting a true
or false response in the third column, the downside is that the names in each
column are a combination of first, middle and last names that have been
concatenated together (These comparison are in thousands). Help please. thanks

E.G
column 1 column 2
John M James Doug S Smith
Mike j john kate Johnson
Hans Kible Lilly T Hanson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

PCLIVE Thanks,
I prefer the second one Anywhere in the column
=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,B1)=0,FALSE,TRUE). However i do not understand the range.
The A:A looks at the names in column A and compares with what? Also what does
the B1 do. I tried this but didn't get any comparison.

"Yossy" wrote in message
Please is there a way I can compare two columns of names and getting a
true
or false response in the third column, the downside is that the names in
each
column are a combination of first, middle and last names that have been
concatenated together (These comparison are in thousands). Help please.
thanks

E.G
column 1 column 2
John M James Doug S Smith
Mike j john kate Johnson
Hans Kible Lilly T Hanson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This assumes that your first column of names is column A. Your second
column of names is Column B (assuming). Place the formula in C1 and copy
down. If the value in B1 is found anywhere in column A, then it returns
TRUE, else it returns FALSE. If your data starts in a different other than
row 1, then adjust the formula as necessary.

--

"Yossy" wrote in message
Please is there a way I can compare two columns of names and getting a
true
or false response in the third column, the downside is that the names
in
each
column are a combination of first, middle and last names that have been
concatenated together (These comparison are in thousands). Help please.
thanks

E.G
column 1 column 2
John M James Doug S Smith
Mike j john kate Johnson
Hans Kible Lilly T Hanson

Compare and get the best value Satya Nanduri[_2_] Excel Worksheet Functions 2 July 12th 08 07:13 AM
compare geebee Excel Programming 1 September 5th 07 09:16 PM
How do I compare cells and if FALSE compare to next cell in EXCEL Cindie Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 24th 06 05:29 PM
String compare doesn't compare? Ken Soenen Excel Programming 1 January 16th 06 03:40 PM
compare data from one column with another and compare result to yet another Matt Williamson[_3_] Excel Programming 1 September 25th 03 08:54 PM