Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Matrix Creation

I am going to a party. There will be 16 guests and 4 tables with 4 chairs at
each table. There are 6 courses of food being served and after every course
served the hostess wishes to reseat people so that at the end of the 6
courses each guest sat with as many other guests as possible and minimized
sitting at the same table with any particular guest. Anyone have an idea how
to create code to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just use a standard duplicate bridge seating chart for 16 people.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200782

"Mike H." wrote:

I am going to a party. There will be 16 guests and 4 tables with 4 chairs at
each table. There are 6 courses of food being served and after every course
served the hostess wishes to reseat people so that at the end of the 6
courses each guest sat with as many other guests as possible and minimized
sitting at the same table with any particular guest. Anyone have an idea how
to create code to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've been searching the internet for a duplicate bridge seating chart since I
read your reply. I can't seem to find one. Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Access Query Select Query.
As long as the data is in different tables, and you bring it together in a
query, you will see all possible combinations of arrangements.

Regards,
Ryan---

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"Mike H." wrote:

I am going to a party. There will be 16 guests and 4 tables with 4 chairs at
each table. There are 6 courses of food being served and after every course
served the hostess wishes to reseat people so that at the end of the 6
courses each guest sat with as many other guests as possible and minimized
sitting at the same table with any particular guest. Anyone have an idea how
to create code to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here are the first four courses:

Course #1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Course#2
1 5 9 13 2 6 10 14 3 17 11 15 4 8 12 16

Course #3
1 6 11 16 2 7 12 13 5 10 15 4 3 8 9 14

Course #4
4 7 10 13 3 6 9 16 8 11 14 1 2 5 15 12

Gary''s Student - gsnu200782

"Mike H." wrote:

I've been searching the internet for a duplicate bridge seating chart since I
read your reply. I can't seem to find one. Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In combination study, it also sometimes goes by the name of "Social Golfer."
The best you can do is 5 seatings before duplicates...
Here's a link that is pretty good...

The Social Golfer Problem
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sello/golf.html

These are one of the hardest Combo problems to solve.
--
Dana DeLouis

"Mike H." wrote in message
I've been searching the internet for a duplicate bridge seating chart
since I
read your reply. I can't seem to find one. Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a similar problem. It's tennis rotations for doubles tennis.

4,5, and 6 courts, 4 people per court. 3 rotations. No one plays on the
same court with another person twice.

There are multiple solutions. So we added... what is the solution(?) so
that there is the least movement. Meaning, each player moves after each
round. You want to minimize the distance moved by all people during all
three rounds.

Turned out there are multiple solutions to that too so we added: Make
everyone's movement as equal as possible. Meaning... one person doesn't
stay on the same court 3 times while another moves 4 courts both times.

I wrote a program in Power Basic about 10 years ago that solved it
through trial and error. It essentially just randomly makes movements,
measures the things looked for and saves the best ones. I can't port it
into vb because too many functions are unavailable in vb, especially the
swap function for arrays.

John