Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to plot a chart with 3 axes?

Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normal y and x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x: y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and have y on one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I follow, you want the normal x-axis and two vertical y-axes, the
secondary y-axis on the right of your chart.

Rt-click your second series and Select Object (or double click the series),
select the 'Axis' tab and select the Secondary Axis option.

Regards,
Peter T

wrote in message
Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normal y and x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x: y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and have y on one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
Can't be done in Excel directly. Try Googling plot 3D to find free
plotters.
regards
Paul

On Apr 18, 8:58*am, wrote:
Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normal y and x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x: y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and have y on one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normal y and x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x: y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and have y on one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

Or for more Y-axes in Excel, try Multy_Y or EZplot at www.OfficeExpander.com..
There is a Demo version to try.
Cheers!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The capability to add multiple axes looks nice, but it tends to confuse more
than help.

http://www.perceptualedge.com/articl...caled_axes.pdf
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...s-in-charts-2/
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...tional-scales/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

wrote in message

Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normal y and x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x: y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and have y on one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 19, 1:46*pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
The capability to addmultipleaxeslooks nice, but it tends to confuse more
than help.

http://www.perceptualedge.com/articl...xes-that-work-...

- Jon
-------
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message

Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normalyand x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x:y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and haveyon one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

More than just looking nice, the ability to have multiple axes is
viewed as essential in some professions, such as engineering.
Multiple Y axes provide more than a "magnitude" comparison, but can
actually aid in solving problems quickly by visual comparison. For
example, comparisons of temperatures, pressures and other (transient)
data can directly isolate issues in engine manufacturing and testing.
This includes stalls, sensor problems etc...

Therefore, it is a bit overstated to declare that multiple axes plots
are confusing when many people view them as not only clear and
accessible, but essential.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The vast majority of users of these newsgroups post on top. If you follow
suit, it will be easier to follow a thread.

I stand by my statement. While there are subsets of users that are
accustomed to multiple axis charts, even these users can be initially
distracted if the axes are not carefully planned and executed. IMO multiple
axes along the left side of a chart is one of the most confusing ways to
accomplish multiple scales. The user has to do a lot of work to correlate
each series to a particular scale. With the data overlapping, the impulse to
treat artifacts as real is hard to resist. Such an artifact would be where a
curve plotted on one scale intersects a second curve plotted on its own
scale.

The advantage of a panel type chart is that it simplifies the scales for
each panel, and it eliminates artifacts. You can still clearly compare in a
panel chart the positions of peaks, plateaus, slope changes, etc., in
different series.

I was trained as a scientist and worked as an engineer for two decades. I've
wrestled with many techniques for displaying information, and I've seen
cleverly designed axis scale mechanisms lead to much more confusion than
elucidation. The few situations that merit multiple scales have been where
opposite scales show alternated units for a given quantity, such as the
Fahrenheit and Celsius example I gave in one of the pages I cited, or where
a subset of data is displayed in a corner of the chart, as an inset, though
with perhaps one of the axes of the inset aligned with the axis of the main
chart.

I realize that you've got a product to sell, and in fact it looks like a
pretty well designed utility. The problem is that it makes it easy for
people to make nice looking but confusing charts.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Rich K" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

More than just looking nice, the ability to have multiple axes can be
viewed as essential in some professions, such as engineering.
Multiple Y axes can provide more than a "magnitude" comparison by
actually aid in solving problems quickly by visual comparison. For
example, comparisons of temperatures, pressures and other (transient)
data can directly isolate issues in engine manufacturing and testing.
This includes stalls, sensor problems etc...

Therefore, some people can find multiple axes plots to be not only
clear and
accessible, but essential.

On Apr 19, 1:46*pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

The capability to addmultipleaxeslooks nice, but it tends to confuse more
than help.

http://www.perceptualedge.com/articl...intelligence/d.......

- Jon
-------

wrote in message

Hello, i have 3 columns and i want to have the normalyand x axis,
but on the other side of the plot
i'd like to have also a z axis.
For example i want to plot a curve that is a function of x:y=f(x) and
Z=g(x) on the same plot and haveyon one side and z on the other
side.

Thanks, contact me also via email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

More than just looking nice, the ability to have multiple axes can be
viewed as essential in some professions, such as engineering.
Multiple Y axes can actually aid in solving problems quickly by visual
comparison. For example, comparisons of temperatures, pressures and
other (transient) data can directly isolate issues in engine
manufacturing and testing. This includes stalls, sensor problems
etc...

Therefore, some people can find multiple axes plots to be not only
clear and accessible, but essential.

On Apr 20, 2:46*pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
[...]

"Rich K" wrote in message

On Apr 19, 1:46 pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote: The capability to addmultipleaxeslooks nice, but it tends to confuse more