Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default save a workbook using Two different cells for a reference

I want to save a workbook referencing a cell (with a name in it) and a cell
with a date in it (=today() )
I know very little about macros and I understand that this can be done using
a macro. do you use a button on the sheet assigned to a macro? what is the
format for a macro?
Can this be done without a macro?
in the end, i would like to be able to search by the date or by the name in
the cell
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You'll probably want to do this with a Workbook_BeforeSave event. I don't
have any code here to copy, so that's about the best I can do for now. That
should get you started.

If you have named ranges tied to those cells, you could do something like this

SuggestedName = Range("Rangename1) & "_" & Format(Range("Date"),"yyyyy-mm-dd")

Just make sure you have values in each of the cells.

--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"batmanz" wrote:

I want to save a workbook referencing a cell (with a name in it) and a cell
with a date in it (=today() )
I know very little about macros and I understand that this can be done using
a macro. do you use a button on the sheet assigned to a macro? what is the
format for a macro?
Can this be done without a macro?
in the end, i would like to be able to search by the date or by the name in
the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Barb,

Thanks for the input. I'll work on it to give it a whirl. I think I need
more information on how the whole process works. I am a real rookie deep in
advanced territory. Thanks

"batmanz" wrote:

I want to save a workbook referencing a cell (with a name in it) and a cell
with a date in it (=today() )
I know very little about macros and I understand that this can be done using
a macro. do you use a button on the sheet assigned to a macro? what is the
format for a macro?
Can this be done without a macro?
in the end, i would like to be able to search by the date or by the name in
the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Barb,

I will definitely go for the light reading,thanks.

I found the answer to my question by your references and some others.For
anyone else who is interested, here it is

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=Range("C3") & Format(Date,'mm-dd-yyy") & xls

I am sure that I will be back