Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to generate series of random numbers which are all unique

I have 2 col , each having certain unique values. I need to re arrange both
the col randomly.

e.g., 1 st col contains unique names and 2nd col contains certain ID's (
numeric/text). I need to assign these ID's randomly to each names.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Put a helper column next to each of your 2 columns of data and put the formula
=Rand()
in each and drag down to the length of your 2 columns
Select the name and helper column and sort on the helper column
Repeat this for the ID#
delete the helper columns
You should now have a completely random association between name & ID.

Mike