Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there an Excel equivalent??

I am trying to convert some Word VBA to Excel VBA.

Does Excel have an equivalent for:

With Application.Dialogs(wdDialogHelpAbout)
PID$ = RTrim$(.APPSERIALNUMBER) ' serial number, not the GUID
End With

AssignedInitials$ = Application.UserInitials ' "HK"
MyAddress$ = Application.UserAddress

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pretty sure there is no direct Excel equivalent for any of those. For the
serial number (ProductID in 'About') you'd need to search the registry and
the others are Word only properties.

Excel does have Application.ProductCode (n/a in XL97), not the same but
maybe enough for your needs.

Automate Word perhaps ?

Regards,
Peter T

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
I am trying to convert some Word VBA to Excel VBA.

Does Excel have an equivalent for:

With Application.Dialogs(wdDialogHelpAbout)
PID$ = RTrim$(.APPSERIALNUMBER) ' serial number, not the GUID
End With

AssignedInitials$ = Application.UserInitials ' "HK"
MyAddress$ = Application.UserAddress

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pretty sure there is no direct Excel equivalent for any of those. For the
serial number (ProductID in 'About') you'd need to search the registry and
the others are Word only properties.

Excel does have Application.ProductCode (n/a in XL97), not the same but
maybe enough for your needs.

Automate Word perhaps ?

The program will actually be a VB 6 program.
On my ancient, slow computer it takes 5-6 seconds just to start an instance
of Excel.
I do not want to add the time for opening an instance of Word.
Guess that I'll have to look thru the registry.

Application.Product code is a GUID, not a serial number, in both Excel and
Word.
If not in Excel 97, might also not be in Word 97.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
Pretty sure there is no direct Excel equivalent for any of those. For the
serial number (ProductID in 'About') you'd need to search the registry
and
the others are Word only properties.

Excel does have Application.ProductCode (n/a in XL97), not the same but
maybe enough for your needs.

Automate Word perhaps ?

The program will actually be a VB 6 program.
On my ancient, slow computer it takes 5-6 seconds just to start an
instance
of Excel.

If yours is older than mine it's about time you updated <g

FWIW I develop in the v.old and test in a shiny new dual core Vista thing
(vb6 dll's). Although the new machine is generally faster the difference is
nothing remotely of the order the specs would suggest. Excel startup is a
few seconds in each (1st time in a Windows session, thereafter much faster).
Automated instances might start faster as addins don't load.

I do not want to add the time for opening an instance of Word.
Guess that I'll have to look thru the registry.

Not entirely sure it'll be in the same location in all systems, not saying
it isn't but might be worth checking.

Application.Product code is a GUID, not a serial number, in both Excel and
Word.

Do you know what it is, besides some GUID, in particular is it unique to the
user.

If not in Excel 97, might also not be in Word 97.

Correct.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If yours is older than mine it's about time you updated <g

I'm waye past overdue for getting anoter computer.

FWIW I develop in the v.old and test in a shiny new dual core Vista thing
(vb6 dll's). Although the new machine is generally faster the difference

is
nothing remotely of the order the specs would suggest. Excel startup is a
few seconds in each (1st time in a Windows session, thereafter much

faster).
Automated instances might start faster as addins don't load.

It's faster, by a bit, when I run from a .exe.

Not entirely sure it'll be in the same location in all systems, not saying
it isn't but might be worth checking.

Instead, I'll use stuff that I can get thru the Windows API.
Actually, that's better.
Instead of limiting use to a specific Excel PID, i'd limit use to a PC,
which would allow updating of Excel to a different version, etc.