Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Decimal point

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 6 Apr, 14:59, Flemming Jørgensen <Flemming
wrote:
Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I *change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Use S=Replace (S, ",". ".") to replace commas with full stops? Excel
is very liberal in letting you treat numbers as text, and generally
accepts them back as numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Flemming, you can set your system by clicking ToolsOptionInternational
and then choose the type of separator you want to use. However, when you
interface with other systems, you will need to know what they are using or it
could cause problems between the two.

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote:

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sorry to say that is dosnt work
MsgBox dasheet.Cells(2, 1)

dasheet.Cells(2, 1) = Replace(dasheet.Cells(2, 1).Value, ",", ".")

MsgBox dasheet.Cells(2, 1)

Both Msgbox shows comma - and the program dumps

wrote:
Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Use S=Replace (S, ",". ".") to replace commas with full stops? Excel
is very liberal in letting you treat numbers as text, and generally
accepts them back as numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

JLGWhiz's suggestion is for the Tools item in the Excel worksheet's menu
bar, not the one in the VB editor.

Rick

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote in
message ...

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote:

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates
an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have looked for it in excel (2007) - but I couldn't find it.
I seach help for international and found:
MsgBox "The decimal separator is " & _
Application.International(xlDecimalSeparator)

and putting that into the program it showed "," comma
So im lost.

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote:

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it creates
an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When did you tell us you were using Excel 2007? I think you'll find the
majority of Excel users have not moved up to XL2007, so most of the answers
here lean to the prior versions. For future questions you may post, it would
be a good idea to include that fact that you are using XL2007 so that those
able to answer your question as it relates to that version will be alerted.

As to JLGWhiz's suggestion (which I don't know if it will solve your problem
or not), you will find that option by clicking on the Office Button and then
on Excel Options, select the Advanced item from the left-hand listing an
look to the lower part of the Editing Options section in the dialog area on
the right side. Uncheck the "Use system separators" checkbox and enter the
appropriate separators in the indicated textboxes.

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote:

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it
creates
an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick
Im not very familiar with neither Excel or VB. Actually it is the first time
im trying do something with it. I didnt know that all you sharks didnt use
2007 - so sorry about that.
But I still cant find what you are suggesting.
But I'm in the proces of changing my code so that I use variables instead of
using cells directly.

This:
HVfast = daSheet.Range("F2")
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = HVfast * Kvm / TotalKvm
instead og this
'PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

I seems to do the job.
But thanks for your help

"Flemming Jørgensen" wrote:

Hi

I have a code like this
PrintSheet.Range("L24") = "=" & dasheet.Cells(2, 1) & "*" &
adsheet.Cells(adix, 6) & "/" & adsheet.Cells(40, 6)

and when the user put in like 500,35 in dasheet.Cells(2,1) it
creates
an
runtime error. The problem dosn't occur when they ttype in 500.35.

But im danish - and in denmark we use "," (comma) as decimal point.

How can I change VB to use "," as decimail point instead of "."

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See inline comments...

[...]

It's not that *we* don't have XL2007, it is that most people asking
questions on the newsgroups don't have it. So, when the version of Excel
isn't mentioned, we assume the version is not XL2007 (whose user interface
is different than its predecessors).

But I still cant find what you are suggesting.

The Office Button is that big round icon in the upper left corner of the
Excel window. If you click it, you will see a dialog box; at the bottom of
the dialog box are two buttons; the left one is labeled "Excel Options". If
you click it, a new dialog box appears with a listing of items along the
left hand side. One of those items is "Advanced"; click it and the right
hand panel will change. The option I was referring you to is located in the
section with the header of "Editin options" (it's the first section in the
panel). At the bottom of that section (just above the section header "Cut,
copy, and paste") is a check box labeled "Use system separators" which
should be checked by default. If you uncheck it, the two textboxes (labeled
"Decimal separator" and "Thousands separator") will become active and you
can change the separator symbols that Excel will use from them.

But I'm in the proces of changing my code so that I use variables instead
of
using cells directly.

<<<<snip

I seems to do the job.

So then I guess we can assume your problem is solved at this point.

Rick