Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Named Range in 2007

Hello:

How do you create a Named Range in Excel 2007?

childofthe1980s
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

Formulas tab. "Define Name" in "Define Names" group.

--
Jim
"childofthe1980s" wrote in
Hello:

How do you create a Named Range in Excel 2007?

childofthe1980s

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Apologies for the rant, but this is another perfect example of Office
2007's "improved user interface intuitiveness". Man I hate the
'Ribbon'. Why would any company take its flagship product and hide all
the features in obscure places? In my opinion you shouldn't have to go
looking to the help system or a newsgroup to find a feature you are
used to using. But hey... we got an enourmous paste button in
return... I wonder if I'll ever use that?

Cheers,
Ivan.

On Mar 30, 3:01*am, "Jim Rech" wrote:
One way:

Formulas tab. *"Define Name" in "Define Names" group.

--
Jim
"childofthe1980s" wrote in

Hello:

How do you create a Named Range in Excel 2007?

childofthe1980s- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why would any company...

If you really want to know:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/

--
Jim
"Ivyleaf" wrote in message
Apologies for the rant, but this is another perfect example of Office
2007's "improved user interface intuitiveness". Man I hate the
'Ribbon'. Why would any company take its flagship product and hide all
the features in obscure places? In my opinion you shouldn't have to go
looking to the help system or a newsgroup to find a feature you are
used to using. But hey... we got an enourmous paste button in
return... I wonder if I'll ever use that?

Cheers,
Ivan.

On Mar 30, 3:01 am, "Jim Rech" wrote:
One way:

Formulas tab. "Define Name" in "Define Names" group.

--
Jim
"childofthe1980s" wrote in

Hello:

How do you create a Named Range in Excel 2007?

childofthe1980s- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

I've read some of that before (hence the stab at the Paste button),
but I haven't seen that site... I'll have a good look through out of
interest.

One particular objection I have is that decisions like the "Paste"
button were seemingly arrived at mainly due to data returned from the
"Customer Experience Improvement Program" even when it went against
the assumptions of the developers. While this is surely useful
information, basing a decision seemingly wholly on this is
fundamentally flawed. For a start, you have to 'opt in' to the
program. As such, you already have an unpredictable sampling of who
you are collecting the data from. Secondly, although you can make
assumptions about who would opt in / out, you are then back to
guesswork anyway. I can speak for myself though in saying that as an
experienced user, I will generally opt out of anything that will send
off data on my behalf unless I know exactly what it is sending and
when. I don't like the thought of something gobbling up bandwidth
without my say so and I am also cautious of privacy - Microsoft is a
big company, but that doesn't mean I trust it.

Having said this, you don't therefore know if you are capturing "About
1.3 billion sessions" from your grandma at home who has never heard of
Ctrl-V and uses Excel to maintain a grocery shopping list; or if you
are capturing sessions from 'Average' or 'Power' users. I remember one
customer that I had during my time in retail that was using Excel as a
word processor and didn't know that Word existed! The other thing to
note is that filtering this data by the type of computer someone is
using (as Jensen suggests) is irrelevant. A perfect example of this is
the customer I just mentioned, who had recently purchased a top of the
line home PC. Also, (sorry, I'm making an assumption here) I would
expect that the Office suite is primarily used at workplaces in which
the users' PC configuration is dictated by the IT departments budget
and not their personal preference or level of expertise.

The other thing you then have to consider is the target demographic of
the product. If you make decisions based on data from anonymous
sources, you have to assume that your source is the 'average' user. As
such, you are therefore by default designing your product to suit this
unknown 'average' user. I have always thought of Office as a 'high
end' solution. If Microsoft is now aiming Office at the 'average'
user, I am left wondering who Works is aimed at, and what package will
now cater to the needs of power users? With VBA now removed from Mac
Office this seems to be an opening void.

In summary, I believe the fact that the OP (who is not brand new to
Excel judging by his/her history) had to ask a newsgroup where a
feature that they previously used has gone is proof enough that
Microsoft got it wrong. Still, maybe my grandma never used named
ranges :)

Cheers,
Ivan.

On Mar 31, 2:18*am, "Jim Rech" wrote: