Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
hjc hjc is offline

Default find location of ActiveX control

Is there a way to locate an ActiveX control (specifically, a button) in a
spreadsheet, i.e., to find out what column it is in? I can figure it out if
the control has a linked cell that I can put in the same column, but that
doesn't work for a button. Although the 'location' of the left edge of the
button is a property of the button, it doesn't seem to correlate to pixels
(that could be compared against the sum of the widths of the columns to the
left of the control, for example) or anything else, as far as I can tell.

I am trying to create a series of buttons, each of which will carry out the
same action on the column in which it resides. I am using Excel 2003.

Thanks for whatever help anybody can provide!
Hugh John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
hjc hjc is offline

Thanks, Dave -- for some reason, my first post 'disappeared' after I
submitted it, and I could find no trace of it. In fact, I didn't even think
I posted it (at least, not intentionally, nor even accidentally, as far as I
was aware), but I suddenly got a message saying that it had been successfully
submitted. So, when I couldn't even find it after that, I posted it a second
time....

H.J.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Check your earlier post.

hjc wrote:

Is there a way to locate an ActiveX control (specifically, a button) in a
spreadsheet, i.e., to find out what column it is in? I can figure it out if
the control has a linked cell that I can put in the same column, but that
doesn't work for a button. Although the 'location' of the left edge of the
button is a property of the button, it doesn't seem to correlate to pixels
(that could be compared against the sum of the widths of the columns to the
left of the control, for example) or anything else, as far as I can tell.

I am trying to create a series of buttons, each of which will carry out the
same action on the column in which it resides. I am using Excel 2003.

Thanks for whatever help anybody can provide!
Hugh John

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
hjc hjc is offline

Awesome, Dave -- thanks!
H.J.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

hjc wrote:

Thanks, Dave -- for some reason, my first post 'disappeared' after I
submitted it, and I could find no trace of it. In fact, I didn't even think
I posted it (at least, not intentionally, nor even accidentally, as far as I
was aware), but I suddenly got a message saying that it had been successfully
submitted. So, when I couldn't even find it after that, I posted it a second
time....

H.J.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Check your earlier post.