Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Are there any events for outlines functionalities?

I've developed an excel table, containing sums of cells, and also containing
some grouping (using the Group method) on some levels. My problem is that in
some cases I don't want to engage people to see the lower level data (but
there are cases, which it is permitted in). Is there a way to inhibit some of
the number boxes and + / - signs of the outlining system? For example to
catch the outline change event, and cancel or engage it programmatically?

Thanks ahead,

SlowArrow:-)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is no "outline change" event, at least not in Excel 2000, which I am
running. I never use outlines personally. However, for example, I
add/subtract rows on my time sheet using buttons on a custom toolbar. I also
created my own treeview control for a specialized situation.

I suggest either going with buttons on a custom toolbar that toggle the
collapsed state of the required rows. Alternatively, create your own
'treeview' system involving grouped lines and a small rectangle.

I never got the +/- sign to look right so went with toggling a filled and
unfilled state of the rectangle instead. Assign a macro that collapses the
rows when it is clicked if the rectangle is not filled, and expands when it
is filled. The length of the "node" should shrink and expand automatically in
concert assuming the default property of "Move and Size with Cells" is set.

Greg

"SlowArrow" wrote:

I've developed an excel table, containing sums of cells, and also containing
some grouping (using the Group method) on some levels. My problem is that in
some cases I don't want to engage people to see the lower level data (but
there are cases, which it is permitted in). Is there a way to inhibit some of
the number boxes and + / - signs of the outlining system? For example to
catch the outline change event, and cancel or engage it programmatically?

Thanks ahead,

SlowArrow:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greg,

Thanks a lot. This is the answer, what I assumed. One always imagine some
more beautiful;-) However, without a nice event, I will use your suggested
solution probably. The life is not a meringue pie...;-)

Thanks again,

SlowArrow:-)