Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can a custom Search function return a cell reference?

I am trying to create a custom function that will return a cell reference for
a search result. So far, I have this:

Function FindS(MySrch) As String

AC = Cells.Find(What:=MySrch, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt _
:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Address

Ans = MsgBox("Search result (" & AC & ")", vbOKOnly, "RESULT")

End Function

I can capture the cell address in a message box but the active cell (where
the formula is) is empty. Ulitimately, I want to plug the results of 'FindS'
into another formula.

Everything I've tried has resulted in an error.
I feel like I'm close but I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have to assign the result to the function...
'--
Function FindS(ByRef MySrch As Variant) As String
Dim AC As String
AC = Cells.Find(What:=MySrch, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Address
FindS = AC
End Function
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"MikeM_work"
wrote in message
I am trying to create a custom function that will return a cell reference for
a search result. So far, I have this:

Function FindS(MySrch) As String

AC = Cells.Find(What:=MySrch, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt _
:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Address

Ans = MsgBox("Search result (" & AC & ")", vbOKOnly, "RESULT")

End Function

I can capture the cell address in a message box but the active cell (where
the formula is) is empty. Ulitimately, I want to plug the results of 'FindS'
into another formula.

Everything I've tried has resulted in an error.
I feel like I'm close but I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Jim:
Thanks so much for your quick reply.
As you might have guessed, I'm just getting started with VBA...
A simple but important step!
Mike