Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Checking to see of a folder exists

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C: drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've used this before, but it's untested, uncompiled here.

Dim TestStr as string
teststr = ""
on error resume next
teststr = dir("\\your\unc\path\here" & "\nul")
on error goto 0

if teststr = "" then
'not there
else
'is there
end if

Chuck M wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C: drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should use the path with the server name if distributing to other
users. If you're the only one using it, and you don't change your
drive letters, using the drive letter in the path is fine.

Cliff Edwards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

I was looking for a solution for checking the existence of a server and
found this post of yours and hoped it helps me, but it doesn't. It returns a
wrong False value if path to be checked consists of only the server name.

My aim is to separate cases of non-existence of a folder:

1. The folder doesn't exist on an existing server.
2. The folder doesn't exist because the server itself doesn't exist (e.g.
its name is mis-spelled).

Any idea?

Regards,
Stefi

€žDave Peterson€ ezt Ã*rta:

Chuck M wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C: drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Private Declare Function PathIsUNCServer Lib "shlwapi" _
Alias "PathIsUNCServerA" _
(ByVal pszPath As String) As Long

Public Function IsUNCPathAServer(ByVal sPath As String) As Boolean

IsUNCPathAServer = PathIsUNCServer(sPath) = 1
End Function

--
---
HTH

Bob

Chuck M wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C:
drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped
drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Bob for your reply! It partly helped because it returns True for
any sPath meeting formal criteria (starting with \\) and False for
non-meeting ones but doesn't reflect that server sPath is a really existing
server or not.

Any further idea?

Regards,
Stefi

€žBob Phillips€ ezt Ã*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

I was looking for a solution for checking the existence of a server and
found this post of yours and hoped it helps me, but it doesn't. It returns
wrong False value if path to be checked consists of only the server name.

My aim is to separate cases of non-existence of a folder:

1. The folder doesn't exist on an existing server.
2. The folder doesn't exist because the server itself doesn't exist (e.g.
its name is mis-spelled).

Any idea?

Regards,
Stefi

"Dave Peterson" ezt Ã*rta:

Chuck M wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C:
drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped
drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried it again with this test macro:

Sub test6()
Dim uncserver As Boolean
Dim teststr As String
' teststr = "\\s00dt002"
teststr = "\s00dt002"
' teststr = "\\xxxxxxxx"

uncserver = False
uncserver = IsUNCPathAServer(teststr)
If uncserver Then
MsgBox teststr & " is there!"
Else
MsgBox teststr & " not there!"

"\\s00dt002" is an existing server, "\s00dt002" and "\\xxxxxxxx" are of
course not.

I get " is there!" message for "\\s00dt002" and "\\xxxxxxxx", " not there!"
for "\s00dt002".

What I'd like to achieve is getting
" is there!" message for "\\s00dt002
" not there!" for "\s00dt002" and "\\xxxxxxxx".

What do I do wrong?

Thanks,
Stefi

€žBob Phillips€ ezt Ã*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Thank you Bob for your reply! It partly helped because it returns True for
any sPath meeting formal criteria (starting with \\) and False for
non-meeting ones but doesn't reflect that server sPath is a really
existing
server or not.

Any further idea?

Regards,