Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Data Retrieval from spreadsheet

How do I retrive data from my spreadsheet when I type in seperate cells a row
heading(A-column) and a column heading(row8)? I'm trying to retrieve the
data to be used in another calculation. When I type the text in a blank
cell, I cannot get it to recognize that it matches the headers. I thought
that if I could pick out the headers, I could have it send back a value,
which I could then use that in the INDEX function. I've tried HLOOKUP and
VLOOKUP and I obviously don't understand what's asking me for because I'm not
sure how it came up with the answer.
I'm using Excel 2000.
--
sdaniels
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

I bet one of those will ease your pain!

sdaniels wrote:

How do I retrive data from my spreadsheet when I type in seperate cells a row
heading(A-column) and a column heading(row8)? I'm trying to retrieve the
data to be used in another calculation. When I type the text in a blank
cell, I cannot get it to recognize that it matches the headers. I thought
that if I could pick out the headers, I could have it send back a value,
which I could then use that in the INDEX function. I've tried HLOOKUP and
VLOOKUP and I obviously don't understand what's asking me for because I'm not
sure how it came up with the answer.
I'm using Excel 2000.
--
sdaniels

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I understand it, you are trying to do a double-lookup.
With

Set up your rows and columns, and then in cell G1, enter the value you want
to look for in the rows, and in H1, enter the value you want to look for in
your columns. Then, use the function below:
=INDEX(B2:E5,MATCH(G1,A2:A5),MATCH(H1,B1:E1))

This is just an example; change to suit your specific needs.
Hope that helps,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"sdaniels" wrote:

How do I retrive data from my spreadsheet when I type in seperate cells a row
heading(A-column) and a column heading(row8)? I'm trying to retrieve the
data to be used in another calculation. When I type the text in a blank
cell, I cannot get it to recognize that it matches the headers. I thought
that if I could pick out the headers, I could have it send back a value,
which I could then use that in the INDEX function. I've tried HLOOKUP and
VLOOKUP and I obviously don't understand what's asking me for because I'm not
sure how it came up with the answer.
I'm using Excel 2000.
--
sdaniels

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried your suggestion and it gave me funny data returned. This also
happened when I used =vlookup(). Could there be something wrong with my data?
--
sdaniels

"sdaniels" wrote:

How do I retrive data from my spreadsheet when I type in seperate cells a row
heading(A-column) and a column heading(row8)? I'm trying to retrieve the
data to be used in another calculation. When I type the text in a blank
cell, I cannot get it to recognize that it matches the headers. I thought
that if I could pick out the headers, I could have it send back a value,
which I could then use that in the INDEX function. I've tried HLOOKUP and
VLOOKUP and I obviously don't understand what's asking me for because I'm not
sure how it came up with the answer.
I'm using Excel 2000.
--
sdaniels

Data storage/retrieval Adam Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 12th 07 01:29 PM
Data Retrieval pkpocket Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 October 2nd 07 12:50 AM
Userform data retrieval gachett[_3_] Excel Programming 0 January 3rd 06 04:12 PM
Data Retrieval bach Excel Programming 2 September 8th 05 03:43 PM
retrieval of data from web to excel chits Excel Programming 1 September 4th 05 02:13 PM