Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating directories from given column of data

Hi all,

I'm very new at VBA and am trying to figure out how to create a macro
that takes the data entered in Column A and then generates directories
using the data in each cell in Column A.

Example

A1: Cat
A2: Dog
A3: Snake

Generating directories wherever I designate titled "Cat," "Dog,"
"Snake," etc.

The initial code I have found allows me to generate a directory though
only from "A1"

Sub CreateDirectoy()
Dim strDir As String

strDir = "C:\" & Sheet1.Range("A1")
On Error Resume Next
If Dir(strDir) = "" Then MkDir strDir

End Sub

How do I have this piece of code apply to all of column A?

I know this is surely rudimentary to everyone, so please forgive me in
advance.

Best wishes and many, many thanks,

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Somehow the code layout got messed up in my previous post, sorry......

Sub CreateDirectoy()
Dim myR As Range, c As Range
Dim strDir As String
With Sheets("Sheet1")

' get range of valid cells
Set myR = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))

' loop through each cell value
For Each c In myR

' using your code
strDir = "C:\" & Trim(c.Value)
On Error Resume Next
If Dir(strDir) = "" Then MkDir strDir

Next

End With

Nigel

Sub CreateDirectoy()

"Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

*** Sent via Developersdex
http://www.developersdex.com ***

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aloha Nigel,

Thank you so very much for assisting me with my VBA question. I've
implemented your script and have just one question. What portion of the
code do I need to edit in order to dictate the column of data I would
like processed? As it is, Column A is the default. What would I change
if I needed to use Column Q or AQ, etc.?

All the best,

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is the original....... for column A

Set myR = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))

add the following to allow a more universal approach

Dim mFirstRow as Long, mDataCol as String
mFirstRow = 1 ' this is the first row of directory names
mDataCol = "Q" ' this is the column of names to use

Set myR = .Range(.Cells(mFirstRow, mDataCol), .Cells(Rows.Count,
mDatCol).End(xlUp))

Nigel

"Kelly" wrote in message
Aloha Nigel,

Thank you so very much for assisting me with my VBA question. I've
implemented your script and have just one question. What portion of the
code do I need to edit in order to dictate the column of data I would
like processed? As it is, Column A is the default. What would I change
if I needed to use Column Q or AQ, etc.?

All the best,

Kelly

*** Sent via Developersdex
http://www.developersdex.com ***

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well spotted!

Nigel

"carlo" wrote in message
Don't forget the typo:

Set myR = .Range(.Cells(mFirstRow, mDataCol), .Cells(Rows.Count,
mDatCol).End(xlUp))

should be

Set myR = .Range(.Cells(mFirstRow, mDataCol), .Cells(Rows.Count,
mDataCol).End(xlUp))

Carlo

On Jan 15, 2:44 pm, "Nigel" wrote:
Other than checking for word wraps as suggested by Carlo if all looks OK.

In the VBE (Press Alt-F11) and check that the error detection is set
correctly, goto Tools Options General (tab) and set Error Trapping to
'Break on Unhandled Errors'.

Nigel

"Kelly" wrote in message

Many thanks again, Nigel, for taking the time to review my post.

I attempted to substitute the new code you posted in place of the
original Column A specific code. I'm getting a run time error and
imagine I've screwed the placement up.

Sub CreateDirectoy()
Dim myR As Range, c As Range
Dim strDir As String
Dim mFirstRow As Long, mDataCol As String
mFirstRow = 1 ' this is the first row of directory names
mDataCol = "B" ' this is the column of names to use
With Sheets("Sheet1")

Set myR = .Range(.Cells(mFirstRow, mDataCol), .Cells(Rows.Count,
mDatCol).End(xlUp))

' loop through each cell value
For Each c In myR

' using your code
strDir = "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\FOLDERS\"
& Trim(c.Value)
On Error Resume Next
If Dir(strDir) = "" Then MkDir strDir

Next

End With
End Sub

Anything look out of place?

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***- Hide quoted
text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many many thanks Nigel and Carlo!

Lots of karmic goodness coming your way!

Best wishes,

Kelly