Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extensive file damage.

I have a file opening with the message:
Errors were detected in 'xxx.xls,' but Microsoft Office Excel was able
to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

The bottom part of the dialog box says:
Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

This happens on Windows XP after the file has been opened from a web
site or email. It happens less often if the file is saved first and
then opened.

It sounds like some kind of encapsulation problem. Any idea where to
start looking?

Carl.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do these problems occur on just one pc or lots of pcs?

If it's just one, I'd try reinstalling excel (or office) on that pc.

If it's lots, then if the files originate from one user or from one web site,
I'd look at that for the problem.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lots of PCs, of various capabilities. One frequently used, modestly
appointed laptop never gives problems.

I was thinking of looking at it with a hex editor to see if I could
spot any differences. Are there any good free ones?

Carl Hartness wrote:

I have a file opening with the message:
Errors were detected in 'xxx.xls,' but Microsoft Office Excel was able
to open the file by making the repairs listed below. *Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

The bottom part of the dialog box says:
Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

This happens on Windows XP after the file has been opened from a web
site or email. *It happens less often if the file is saved first and
then opened.

It sounds like some kind of encapsulation problem. *Any idea where to
start looking?

Carl.

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sure a search of google (or www.shareware.com) would give you tons of hits.

But I'm not sure that it'll help. I wouldn't have any idea what I was looking
at--or what to attempt to change.

If you're thinking of comparing two copies of the same workbook--one that works
and one that causes errors, I'd search for a binary comparison program instead.

Carl Hartness wrote:

I have a file opening with the message:
Errors were detected in 'xxx.xls,' but Microsoft Office Excel was able
to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

The bottom part of the dialog box says:
Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

This happens on Windows XP after the file has been opened from a web
site or email. It happens less often if the file is saved first and
then opened.

It sounds like some kind of encapsulation problem. Any idea where to
start looking?

Carl.

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carl Hartness wrote:

I have a file opening with the message:
Errors were detected in 'xxx.xls,' but Microsoft OfficeExcelwas able
to open the file by making the repairs listed below. *Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

The bottom part of the dialog box says:
Damageto the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excelattempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

Hi,

I think the .xls files are corrupt. Maybe you can try a popular Excel
file recovery tool called Advanced Excel Repair to repair the Excel
file. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Excel files.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe

Alan