Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Drop Down List & VLOOKUP

I have a question and I hope someone can help. I have two
spreadsheets. 1) Contains a history of consumables for printers (Date,
Printer Name, Description, Cost), 2) Contains list of consumables and
their current cost ($).

This is what I currently have done. Sheet 1 contains a validation list
for the Printer Name and Description fields. These are retrieved from
Sheet 2 via to named ranges (Printers & Supplies). On Sheet 1 in the
Cost column I have a VLOOKUP to automatically insert the current cost
of the supply (ex. =IF(C4="","",VLOOKUP(C4,SupplyLookup,2,FALSE)) ).

Here is my problem. When I update the current cost of the supplies on
Sheet 2, the costs are reflected on all related fields on Sheet 1.
This is not my desired result. I would like to be able to select the
supply from a drop down list, have the cost inserted from Sheet 2, but
only for new rows not previously recorded rows.

Please help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why don't you add a date when the new rows are added into sheet? Then
include the date in the IF statement one sheet one. Use the date to
determine the new rows.

"j@ckle" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"j@ckle" wrote:
[...]

I have the date entered in Column A. The only problem is if I include
the date to the IF statement any previous entry the cost (Column C) is
blank. Unless I am just not checking the date properly.