Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Track Inserted Rows/Columns in two spreadsheets

Has anyone found a way to track inserted rows/columns in spreadsheets after
the fact? What I really want to do is compare two versions of a workbook and
back out where rows and columns have been inserted. Most file compare macros
fall short on this step and produce skewed data.

I know I can:

1) turn track changes on
2) use dynamic named ranges in formulas in worksheets which count blank
rows/columns from the last entry. But what I really want to do is to be able
track
3) use track change macros triggered off change event

But I really want the ability to dig in to the bowels of the spreadsheet and
find some property that has changed relative to an earlier version of the
same spreadsheet. Can I transfer the excel data to a text file an use
functions to read the two files? How about a Hex Editor. There must be a
way to do this as I know there are people out there who claim their audit
software can accomodate this high level of file comparisons.

Thanks

EM