Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using a 2 dimensional string array variable like a lookup function

Hello all,

How would I use a 2 dimensional string array like a vlookup/hlookup?

I'm thinking that my array will be something like this:

dim pstrDestinationPath(0 to [n], 0 to 1) as string

so in this 2 x [n] array, I will put a search term (a file name will be
searched for this term) in the "first column" and the corresponding
destination path in the "second column" of the array.

what I'm thinking of right now is just using a For loop to loop through each
element of the "first column" of the array, comparing it to a string. Then
using the For Loop control counter (after the match is found) as the index
for the "2nd column" of the array to return the matching path element.

Is this the correct way of doing this, or is there some other more straight
forward way?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly