Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using an Excel Spreadsheet as A Data source for Miscrosoft Query

I am getting data using microsoft query from a flat file database, but
because I am using a query that can not be graphically displayed, it will not
let me pass a parameter to the query. In frustration, I have dumped all the
data to an excel spread sheet (Open Orders.xls) and would now like to just
get the records I want (where item_number = <user_input). I tried to set up
an excel spreadsheet (Open Orders.xls) as a data source for microsoft query,
by selecting new data source Excel and the name of the workbook (Open
Orders.xls). When Microsoft Query opens up, it does not show any tables. I
was under the assumption that each worksheet would be treated as a table. Do
I need to do something special when saving the excel work so that it will be
recognized as a datasource? Is there a better way to work through the
parameter delima?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
i have never done this with flatfiles before but you can use xl as a data
sorce.
how are you passing the parameter.
did you parse the data in the OpenOrder.xls. on the menu....datatext to
columns.
that might help.
declare the data range as a named range. this is how excel "sees" it as a
table.

regards
FSt1