Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error testing combobox to variable

Please Help!!!
When Pressing the add button it continually returns the msg ouch and
0, 2
like cnt is not incrementing
Any idea how to make this work?

As i said before im still very new to "programming" and im not very
good at it. but im trying to figure it out.. so any assistance would
be greatly apreciated

Private Sub CmdAdd_Click()
Dim strNewPerson As String
Dim NewName As String
Dim cnt As Long
Dim NewParent As String
Dim Mynumber As Integer
Dim i As Boolean
i = False
NewName = TxtFirstName & "," & TxtLastName

Do While cnt <= CBONames.ListCount - 1 Or i = True ' CBONames
Combobox 2
For cnt = 0 To CBONames.ListCount - 1
If NewName = CBONames.List(cnt) Then ' NewName is
Combobox 1
MsgBox
"hello"
MsgBox cnt & " " & Mynumber
End If
If NewName < CBONames.List(i) Then
MsgBox "ouch!"
MsgBox cnt & " " & Mynumber
End If
Next
Loop

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HI there

The code below should give you some idea of a way to do this what i
have done is write a function and call it from the button click event,
it will start a loop to check the values in CboNames for a match if
one is found it will show the Hello msg and then stop the function
exiting the loop, if it doesn't find a match it will finish the the
loop and show the Ouch msg. I'm not sure what all your variables are
for so i didn't use anything new other than the X integer replacing
the cnt in the msg's.

Option Explicit

Dim NewName As String
Dim X As Integer
Dim MyNumber As Integer

Private Sub CmdAdd_Click()

CheckCboBox 'Call this function from the button click event

End Sub
Function CheckCboBox()

NewName = TxtFirstName.Value & "," & TxtLastName.Value

For X = 0 To CboNames.ListCount - 1

If CboNames.List(X) = NewName Then

'You can add your code here to use the variable i.e.
'ComboBox2.AddItem NewName

MsgBox "hello" & vbNewLine & X & " " & MyNumber

Exit Function 'Add this if you want to stop searching
'if a name is found

End If

Next X

MsgBox "ouch!" & vbNewLine & X & " " & MyNumber

End Function

Hope this helps

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Nov 14, 5:30 pm, Incidental wrote:
[...]

I changed my code to this, however whenever i Click the Add button, it
will add it, then msgbox me for the remaining count even with the exit
function in there . am i doing something wrong? Please help :)

Private Function AddingIt()
Dim NewName As String
Dim strNewPerson As String
Dim cnt As Long

NewName = TxtFirstName & "," & TxtLastName
For cnt = 0 To CBONames.ListCount - 1
If CBONames.List(cnt) = NewName Then
MsgBox NewName & " Is already on the list"
Exit Function
End If
Next cnt
strNewPerson = TxtFirstName & "," & TxtLastName & "," &
CBOMoFa & "," & TxtChild & "," _
& TxtIssued & "," & TxtServed
GetArea (strNewPerson)
End Function
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Nov 15, 8:32 am, wrote:
[...]

End Function- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking maybe this, however when i run it it just freezes, and
i have to close it and re-open it, its something wrong with this code,
because i took all the other code out!

what am i doing thats wrong?
Do While i = False Or cnt <= CBONames.ListCount
For cnt = 0 To CBONames.ListCount - 1
If CBONames.List(cnt) = NewName Then
MsgBox NewName & " Is already on the list"
i = True
End If
Next cnt
Loop
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

The code below should work for you it uses pretty much the same idea
as your code only using a single loop rather than nesting another loop
inside the initial loop. I personally find it easier to keep loops
simple as the more complex they get and the more nesting is used it
becomes hard to know where you are while you are debugging your code.

The main problem with you loops are that the first loop will run for
ever as cnt will always be 3 due to the fact it is incremented in the
inner loop this is what makes it seem as excel has locked up, it is
actually running the loop endlessly you can stop the loop from running
by using the Ctrl + Break keystroke to break the running code.

Also worth a mention is that without an exit of the loops after the
correct name is found the inner loop will continue to check the rest
of the combobox contents which is unnecessary.

i = False
NewName = TxtFirstName & "," & TxtLastName
cnt = 0

Do While i = False And cnt <= CboNames.ListCount - 1

If CboNames.List(cnt) = NewName Then

MsgBox NewName & " Is already on the list"

i = True

Else

cnt = cnt + 1

End If

Loop

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Nov 15, 10:40 am, Incidental wrote:
[...]

That Worked! I appreciate it, and it helped me understand loops a
little better!