Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Database summary

I have a workbook with 2 spreadsheets. In the first one, I have a column of
products that has a corresponding customer and the customer may appear more
than once. I want to query that sheet and in the second sheet, have the
customer list with the sum of quantity of products that customer purchased.
All products are equivalent in size just different genetics. I just want to
know how many each customer purchased.

Sheet 1
customer1 product1 qty
customer2 product1 qty
customer2 product2 qty
customer2 product3 qty
customer3 product1 qty
customer3 product2 qty
customer4 product1 qty
customer4 product2 qty

Sheet 2
customer1 sum
customer2 sum
customer3 sum
cusomter4 sum

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Todd Vohs" wrote:

[...]

Hi. I think that you could use the "SUMIF" function. If,say, the customer
names are in column A, rows 1 to 10, and their purchases are in column B,
rows 1 to 10, then you could run a search thus :

Label A11 to A20 Customer 1, Customer2, & etc..

In cell B11, code : =sumif(A1:A10,"Customer 1",B1:B10)

In cell B11 you will then have the sum (taken from column B (rows 1 to 10))
of any name and column A (rows 1 to 10) which matches the target name (in
this first case, Customer 1)

In cell B12, code: =sumif(A1:A10,"Customer 2",B1:B10)
In cell B13, code: =sumif(A1:A10,"Customer 3",B1:B10)

I hope this helps
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Nov 1, 6:28 pm, Pete wrote:
"Todd Vohs" wrote:
[...]

I hope this helps- Hide quoted text -

Todd - see my email - Pete is right if you want a sum of the amount
each customer has spent, countif would be used to count the number
each customer purchased

Polly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi Todd -

If you don't need a customized format for the summed list, a Pivot Table
might do the job.

Make sure you first add field names to the top of your data columns, e.g.,
Customer, ProductName, Quantity. Then:

1. Choose Data, Pivot Table... and press [Next] (to accept the default data
source in Step 1 of the Pivot Table Wizard).

2. Highlight your data list (including the field names) and press [Next].

3. Press [Finish] in Step 3 of the Wizard. This will give you a blank
Pivot Table and a PivotTable field list.

4. Drag the 'Customer' fieldname from the field list to the "Drop Row
Fields Here" section of the blank Pivot Table and drag the 'Quantity'
fieldname to the "Drop Data Items Here" section.

---
Jay