Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Check Cell Content before continuing...

Cells A1, & B1 contain pulldowns requesting input. My macro needs to check if
these cells still contain the original question, or any selection... IF new,
then continue macro. IF unchanged, then display error... I believe I know how
to present the error message, but I am unsure how to check the cells content.
(New to VBA, please include the basics. Thanks in advance.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try something like this (untested): Replace A1OriginalValue and
B1OriginalValue with your actual values (numbers, strings, etc.).

If Range("A1").Value = A1OriginalValue Or _
Range("B1").Value = B1OriginalValue _
Then
MsgBox "Error. Cell A1 and/or B1 has not changed.", _
vbCritical + vbOKOnly, _
"Check Cell A1 and B1"
Else
'Do macro.

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sorry, I ran into a compile error on my syntax right away. Any advice?

If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Or _
Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value _

Thank you for your patience.
Christopher McCune

"Bill Renaud" wrote:

Try something like this (untested): Replace A1OriginalValue and
B1OriginalValue with your actual values (numbers, strings, etc.).

If Range("A1").Value = A1OriginalValue Or _
Range("B1").Value = B1OriginalValue _
Then
MsgBox "Error. Cell A1 and/or B1 has not changed.", _
vbCritical + vbOKOnly, _
"Check Cell A1 and B1"
Else
'Do macro.

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your code (as follows) compiles and runs fine on my machine (Excel 2000):

Sub Test()
If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Or _
Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value _
Then
MsgBox "Then"
Else
MsgBox "Else"

I don't know how the "Fill in..." will work, however. Maybe it appears this
way in the cell, but the full value is something longer (?).
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure what I did, but your version works. (What was changed?)

Can you tell me how to stop the Macro if the 'then' condition is met, and
continue if it isn't?

Thank you,
Christopher McCune
PS: "Fill in..." is the cell's content. It's specific label is next to it.

"Bill Renaud" wrote:

Your code (as follows) compiles and runs fine on my machine (Excel 2000):

Sub Test()
If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Or _
Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value _
Then
MsgBox "Then"
Else
MsgBox "Else"

I don't know how the "Fill in..." will work, however. Maybe it appears this
way in the cell, but the full value is something longer (?).
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<<Can you tell me how to stop the Macro if the 'then' condition is met, and
continue if it isn't?

Leave the 'then' condition empty and have code in the 'else' part of the
clause only, or revise the logic as follows:

Sub Test()
If Range("Q44").Value < "Fill in..." And _
Range("F47").Value < Range("AB2").Value _
Then
'Your code here.