Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sum Left Formula, Excel 2000 & 2003

Hello,

My worksheet cell data B3 - looks like the below example:

Column B
Row 1: 4 (24X24X6)
(Includes Future)
Row 2: 5 (24x24x6)
Row 3: 4 (24x24x6)
Row 4: 5 (24x24x6)
Row 5: 3 (24x25x6)
(Includes Future)
Row 6: 4 (24x24x6)
Row 7: 5 (24x24x6)
(Includes Future)
Row 8: 6 (24x24x6)
Row 9: 6 (24x24x6)
Row 10: 6 (24x24x6)

My cells are formatted wrap text.

I'm trying to sum all my cells with the first number. My formula that
I'm using is:

Formula 1 - did not work
=SUM(LEFT(B3:B12,1))

Formula 2 - did not work
=SUM(LEFT(B3,1:B12,1))

Formula 3 - did not work
=SUM(LEFT(B3, 1):Left(B12,1))

Each formula give this error: "This formual you typed contains an
error"

How can the formula be changed to sum a column of data as described
above?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would insert a helper column as Col C, insert the following formula in B1,
and copy down: =LEFT(B1,1)+0
I would then hide this column, and in col B do a normal SUM, but sum Col C,
eg =SUM(C1:C10)

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman