Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calculating a total controlled by multiple variables?

I want to calculate the total for something, but that total is
controlled by multiple variables.

In my setup (I'm trying to make a calculator for the cost of tshirt
printing) I have:

1. Categories for number of tshirts (Four values: 1 to 9, 10 to 19, 20
to 39, 40+) Each category has its own price, this price however is
based on the following:

2. Categories for number of colours of prints: (Four values: 1 Colour,
2 Colour, 3 Colour & 4 Colour).

3. Number of tshirt (Can vary, user supplies value)

These three variables together control the total price for the
tshirts.

For example, say a user wanted 14, 3 colour tshirts. On my two way
table (with category for tshirts at top, and category for colours at
side) this would give me the price of £12.20 PER tshirt (because it is
within the 10-19 category, and is 3 colours). This would then be
multiplied by 14 (the number of tshirts the user has specified they
want a quote for) giving me the total im after (£170.80).

How can I get excel to do this with the minimum fuss? I tried it with
IF statements, but that way I would have to do one for each individual
price, which is not a very efficient method. Is there a much quicker
way to do it? I hope I explained it properly!

Regards