Posted to comp.databases.oracle.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reading longvarchar(484), data always empty in Excel Options

On Oct 25, 8:43 pm, " wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:27 am, jodleren wrote:
On Oct 24, 7:41 pm, " wrote:
On Oct 23, 11:39 pm, Sonnich Jensen
wrote:

I have a problem with reading data from Oracle in Excel. When reading
longvarchar, I get nothing - it does not read any data out.
The code (VBA in Excel) below is in use, and when reading a normal
varchar2 field it
works. The current is a longvarchar(484), and it is always empty,
causing EOF to be true - always - trying to to read data before reads
nothing...
The SQL works well in PHP, DB Explorer and such.... but M$ does not
like it,

Help, please...

Set oWS = CreateWorkspace("server", "me", "qwerty", dbUseODBC)
oWS.DefaultCursorDriver = dbUseODBCCursor
oWS.LoginTimeout = 280

Set Connection = oWS.OpenConnection("server", dbDriverNoPrompt,
True, _
"ODBC;DSN=datastuff;UID=me;PWD=qwerty")
Connection.QueryTimeout = 480

sSQL = "select something from whatever"
Set oRec = oConn.OpenRecordset(sSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

If oRec.EOF Then '<- always false, even that SQL returns data
sResult = ""

What, exactly, is a 'longvarchar(484)'? That isn't a valid datatype
in Oracle.

Well, that is what DB explorer shows me... anyway, some kind of long
varchar, which shows as a "MEMO". I dont have that well access to the
DB to tell you much more.
When reading those long strings I get those problems.

And LONG columns don't play well with some interfaces. Which version
of Excel are you using? I can easily retrieve LONG data through an
ODBC connection (using Micro$ofts own driver for Oracle). It may be
VBA causing your 'problems' with LONG columns, but I'm not that
familiar with VBA to make such an 'educated guess'.

Excel 2003.
As of VBA, I wrote to the m$.excel newsgroup too, but got absolutely
no response.

I used the oracle driver, changed that to M$, and the result is the
same.

In general I have not got much response on this, seems like noone
knows.

WBR
Sonnich

Posted to comp.databases.oracle.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
[...]

We might know, and probably do know, if you were able to adequately
describe what is going on.

As has been pointed out to you there is no data type with the name
you mention and you seem to be unable, or unwilling, to do a describe
on the table and supply DDL so you leave us just guessing.

If you work in an Oracle shop why not just ask a DBA for help?
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington