Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro to assign cell values as folder name

I have 56 values in A1:A56 and 56 folders (1,2,3.....56) in C: drive.
Can a macro be written such that in a single click the the value in
cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C:, cell A2 value assigned to 2nd
folder, A3 value assigned to 3rd folder etc....

If yes, please let me know the macro to accomplish this. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Exactly what do you mean by "cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C"? Do you
mean you want to rename the folder (as your Subject line seems to indicate)
or do you have something else in mind when you say "assigned"? Also, what do
you mean by 1st folder, 2nd folder, etc. To the best of my knowledge,
folders don't really have a predictable "order" to them.

Rick

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 56 values in A1:A56 and 56 folders (1,2,3.....56) in C: drive.
Can a macro be written such that in a single click the the value in
cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C:, cell A2 value assigned to 2nd
folder, A3 value assigned to 3rd folder etc....

If yes, please let me know the macro to accomplish this. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes.

Are your folders actually called 1,2,3 etc - if so then surely you can
just put these values into your cells.
If not then what makes the first folder the first one and not the last
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Oct 23, 11:25 am, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
Exactly what do you mean by "cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C"? Do you
mean you want to rename the folder (as your Subject line seems to indicate)
or do you have something else in mind when you say "assigned"? Also, what do
you mean by 1st folder, 2nd folder, etc. To the best of my knowledge,
folders don't really have a predictable "order" to them.

Rick

wrote in message

ups.com...

I have 56 values in A1:A56 and 56 folders (1,2,3.....56) in C: drive.
Can a macro be written such that in a single click the the value in
cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C:, cell A2 value assigned to 2nd
folder, A3 value assigned to 3rd folder etc....

If yes, please let me know the macro to accomplish this. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Rick, Anon that was not a well-written question. I admit.

Okay, I have 40 folders named 1, 2, 3, 4... 40.. The folders are in
C:

The folder named 1 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A1.
The folder named 2 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A2.

I hope you got it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
Exactly what do you mean by "cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C"? Do you
mean you want to rename the folder (as your Subject line seems to indicate)
or do you have something else in mind when you say "assigned"? Also, what do
you mean by 1st folder, 2nd folder, etc. To the best of my knowledge,
folders don't really have a predictable "order" to them.

Rick

wrote in message

oups.com...

I have 56 values in A1:A56 and 56 folders (1,2,3.....56) in C: drive.
Can a macro be written such that in a single click the the value in
cell A1 is assigned to 1st folder in C:, cell A2 value assigned to 2nd
folder, A3 value assigned to 3rd folder etc....

If yes, please let me know the macro to accomplish this. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Rick, Anon that was not a well-written question. I admit.

Okay, I have 40 folders named 1, 2, 3, 4... 40.. The folders are in
C:

The folder named 1 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A1.
The folder named 2 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A2.

I hope you got it.- Hide quoted text -

Also, it would be great if I know the macro for vice versa. i.e.
Grabbing the folder's name or file name and putting it in the cells of
the excel worksheet. But, please give my previous query the first
preference. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay, I have 40 folders named 1, 2, 3, 4... 40.. The folders are in
C:

The folder named 1 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A1.
The folder named 2 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A2.

This macro should do that...

Sub RenameFolders()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 40
If Dir("C:\" & CStr(X) & "\", vbDirectory) < "" And _
Trim(Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value) < "" Then
Name "C:\" & CStr(X) As "C:\" & Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
End If
Next
End Sub

You do realize this will only work once, right? I mean, after you run it,
there will be no folders left with the names 1, 2, 3, etc. against which you
could run the macro.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also, it would be great if I know the macro for vice versa. i.e.
Grabbing the folder's name or file name and putting it in the cells of
the excel worksheet.

I don't see how that would be possible. I mean, there is no way of
identifying the folders that used to be named 1, 2, 3, etc.; so, out of all
the folders on the C drive, there is no way of knowing which 40 you would
want. Also, **assuming** you could somehow identify them, unless the text in
the cells of Column A had sequential numbers in them when you renamed the
folders, there would be no way of determining the right order to read the
folder names back in.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Oct 23, 12:36 pm, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
Okay, I have 40 folders named 1, 2, 3, 4... 40.. The folders are in
C:

The folder named 1 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A1.
The folder named 2 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A2.

This macro should do that...

Sub RenameFolders()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 40
If Dir("C:\" & CStr(X) & "\", vbDirectory) < "" And _
Trim(Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value) < "" Then
Name "C:\" & CStr(X) As "C:\" & Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
End If
Next
End Sub

You do realize this will only work once, right? I mean, after you run it,
there will be no folders left with the names 1, 2, 3, etc. against which you
could run the macro.

Rick

Rick, just for testing I am having 11 folders (1,2,3.......11) in C:
\test directory and I using the following code. The excel file has
values in the cells A1 to A11. I executed the macros and I dont see
the folders getting renamed. Am I missing something something? Please
let me know.

Sub RenameFolders()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
If Dir("C:\test" & CStr(X) & "\", vbDirectory) < "" And _
Trim(Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value) < "" Then
Name "C:\test" & CStr(X) As "C:\" & Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
End If
Next
End Sub

I realize it would work once. Also, I understand ur clarification to
the other question. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick,

To test, I have 11 folders in c:\test directory and an excel file with
A1 to A11 cells with values. I am using the following code. I dont see
the folders getting renamed. Am I missing something? Thanks

wrote:
Okay, I have 40 folders named 1, 2, 3, 4... 40.. The folders are in
C:

The folder named 1 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A1.
The folder named 2 should be renamed by the text/value in cell A2.

This macro should do that...

Sub RenameFolders()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 40
If Dir("C:\" & CStr(X) & "\", vbDirectory) < "" And _
Trim(Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value) < "" Then
Name "C:\" & CStr(X) As "C:\" & Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
End If
Next
End Sub

You do realize this will only work once, right? I mean, after you run it,
there will be no folders left with the names 1, 2, 3, etc. against which you
could run the macro.

Oh ya..

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you executing the subroutine from the correct Sheet's code window?
Alternately, you could qualify the Range objects location with
Worksheets("Sheet1") or the like.

Rick

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
[...]

Rick- Hide quoted text -

Rick, I am using the subroutine in a module and I call the subroutine
by clicking command button.

Now I am getting Path/File access error. Can you please send the excel
file (the one you have tried writing the code for me) you have to

Thanks

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Call RenameFolders

End Sub

In a module I have this:

Sub RenameFolders()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
If Dir("C:\test\" & CStr(X) & "\", vbDirectory) < "" And _
Trim(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value) < ""
Then
Name "C:\test\" & CStr(X) As "C:\test\" &
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
End If
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
Are you executing the subroutine from the correct Sheet's code window?
Alternately, you could qualify the Range objects location with
Worksheets("Sheet1") or the like.

Rick

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

End Sub- Hide quoted text -

Rick, Got this working:

Sub RenameFolders1()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
Name "C:\test\" & CStr(X) As "C:\test\" &
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
Next
End Sub

I used F8 and found that the line after the if loop was not executing.
So, I removed the if loop and got it working.. But still wondering why
the if loop didnt do the trick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick, Got this working:

Sub RenameFolders1()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
Name "C:\test\" & CStr(X) As "C:\test\" &
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & CStr(X)).Value
Next
End Sub

I used F8 and found that the line after the if loop was not executing.
So, I removed the if loop and got it working.. But still wondering why
the if loop didnt do the trick

I put the If-Then test in there to stop errors that could result if the
folder didn't exist for some reason or if the cell was empty. As long as you
are sure the folders are all there and that the cells all have text in them,
you should be alright without it... but I would rather see it there myself.
Since I test the same things I use in the Name..As statement, I am a little
puzzled as to why the If-Then test was blocking you. I'm on my way out for
the evening; but if you still want me to send you my test file, I will do so
later on this evening... just let me know.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Oct 23, 5:17 pm, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
Rick, Got this working:

Sub RenameFolders1()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
Name "C:\test\" & CStr(X) As "C:\test\" &
[...]

Rick, please send the file to me. Thanks. My email id is

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Oct 23, 5:17 pm, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
Rick, Got this working:

Sub RenameFolders1()
Dim X As Long
For X = 1 To 11
Name "C:\test\" & CStr(X) As "C:\test\" &