Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Randomly Select from a list

I am looking to randomly select people from a list created in Excel. An
example would be I have 100 people and I want to randomly select 10% of them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try =RANDBETWEEN(bottom,top)

"Heather" wrote:

I am looking to randomly select people from a list created in Excel. An
example would be I have 100 people and I want to randomly select 10% of them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The following formula might do the trick:

=INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A2:$A397)),RAND BETWEEN(1,1))

Substitute $A:$A with the column that contains the values and $A2:$A397 with
the range in that column that you want to extract from. Then copy it down
until you have 10 rows. Press F9 when you want to regenerate the list.

--
Kevin Backmann

"Heather" wrote:

I am looking to randomly select people from a list created in Excel. An
example would be I have 100 people and I want to randomly select 10% of them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See the "Random Elements From A Range Of Worksheet Cells" section at
www.cpearson.com/Excel/RandomNumbers.aspx . This returns an array of N
random non-duplicated elements from a range on a worksheet. You can use the
result array in another VBA procedure or you can array enter the formula
into another range on a worksheet.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Heather" wrote in message
I am looking to randomly select people from a list created in Excel. An
example would be I have 100 people and I want to randomly select 10% of
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With the names in A1:A100
in B1: =INDEX($A$1:$A$100,RAND()*100)
copy down to B100
Unfortunately this can result in duplicates
Use the unique random number generator for
http://www.mrexcel.com/archive2/75000/87041.htm
Be careful, it puts its results in column A
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP