Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I create a control button??

I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on it you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any thoughts?????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think if you change the Font for the button to Symbol and assign (in code)
Chr$(188) to its Caption property, you will get the three dots. Alternately,
(after changing the Font to Symbol) you can copy/paste the character between
the parentheses (¼), which looks like the single character for 1/4 in the
font my newsreader uses, into the Caption property for the button in its
Properties window, you will get the three dots for its Caption.

Rick

"Mekinnik" wrote in message
I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on it you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any thoughts?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Could you please elaborate on how to assign the Chr$(188) to its Caption
property. I have tried and cannot figure out how to do it. I have Office
2003. I have changed the Font to Symbol and have tried to change the caption
but have not gotten the results I'm looking for?

"Mekinnik" wrote in message
I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on it you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any thoughts?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can either copy the following character from between the parentheses (¼)
and then paste it directly into the Caption property in the Properties
window for the button (yes, I know it doesn't look like three dots, but that
is because the Font in your newsreader is not the Symbol font) or use this
line of code in your own code...

CommandButton1.Caption = Chr$(188)

where I have assumed the name of your button to be CommandButton1 (change
this name to match your actual button's name). Oh, and to reiterate, make
sure you set the Font for the button to the Symbol font.

Rick

"Mekinnik" wrote in message
I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on it
you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create
the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any thoughts?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, for the help only I still have a problem I am trying to recreate
the little control button you see on the control button properties windows
under with in VBA under font and when I scale down my button to 12 X 12 the
three dots go away any thoughts on this? The smallest I can make the button
without losing the three dots is 18 X 18 and thats to big.

"Mekinnik" wrote in message
I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on it
you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create
the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any thoughts?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The more I look at it, the more convince I am that the ellipse character
(the three dots) from the Symbol font is not what Windows is using on the
button you referred to. I can make it bold enough nor can I get it to show
on a small button either. I looked though my fonts (figuring Windows must be
using one of them for that character) and cannot find a font with that
character in it. I am not sure how Windows is doing it. They might have an
icon (picture) that contains the three dots in it and may be assigning that
icon to the Picture property of the button. Perhaps you can go that route...
create a small picture of three dots and assign that to the Picture property
of the button. Other than that suggestion, I am not sure what to tell you.
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along and give you a better
answer.

Rick

"Mekinnik" wrote in message
I have been trying to recreate the little button with three dots on
it
you
see in the application, but have not been able to do it I can create
the
button but cannot get the three dots to show on it, any
thoughts?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try three colons :::, adjust height until the bottom dots disappear leaving
just the top ones visible. I can almost get height of 12 but play around
with different fonts, sizes & bold.

Other than something like that I don't think you'll achieve your objective
with VBA's ActiveX controls, at least not unless there's a font that places
one or the three-dots at the top of the line, like say °°°.

A control button, if that's a button on a worksheet would a Form's button
suffice. Otherwise get a picture as Rick suggests.

Regards,
Peter T