Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Linking Workbooks

We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a main "job folder" that contains all the documents we need for each
job (task sheets, shipping receipts, etc.) - when we get a new job i just
copy this entire folder and rename it with the job name - when i do this the
task sheet and the shipping receipt "unlinks" and you have to relink
everything!!

On Oct 4, 9:39 am, Dyanna wrote:
We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In order to better understand what you want to do, here are a couple
questions.

What are the names of the files in the job folder?

When you copy the job folder, do you rename the files in the folder?

On Oct 4, 9:39 am, Dyanna wrote:
We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dan

I know this is really confussing - I have a folder set up on our server
called "job folder" - inside this main folder I have a bunch of sub-folders
(proposals, project docs, drawings, ship receipts, etc) - now inside the
sub-folders are the documents - this is where the task sheet would be in the
task sheet sub-folder and the shipping receipt would be in the shipping
receipt subfolder - hopefully "linked". When I get a new job Copy the main
folder and paste it so I have all the documents I need for the job - I name
the main folder then the name of the job - i don't go back in and change each
sub-folder and each document name - as the documents are needed they are
saved under a new name so the master remains in the folder for that job. I
hope this helps you understand!

On Oct 4, 9:39 am, Dyanna wrote:
We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this:

Instead of copying the main folder when you get a new job, open the
files and save them to a new folder. I think the linking breaks
because the files are closed. If the files are open when you save
them the linking will remain intact.

Not tested.

Dan

On Oct 4, 9:39 am, Dyanna wrote:
We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No luck!! It won't keep the link - I copied the task sheet and then the
shipping receipt - i changed the data in the task sheet but it didn't carry
over to the shipping receipt.

On Oct 4, 9:39 am, Dyanna wrote:
We create Task Sheets and Shipping Receipts - I want to link the two (they
use the same data) - both are excel forms - I have no problem linking them so
that the information I want from the Task Sheet appears on the Shipping
Receipt - my problem is two fold - first they are each stored in different
folders (the shipping receipts in one and the task sheets in another folder)
and each job we do has a folder that contains these task sheets and shipping
receipts - each job could have anywhere from 1 task sheet to 100 - I want to
create a "master" linked task sheet and shipping receipt so that we can just
copy past them in the job folders - i am having no luck doing this - is it
even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I miscommunicated.

It seems that you are copying the workbooks and then opening them to
find the link broken.

I'm suggesting not to copy from the folder but to open the sheets,
make sure the links work, and then save as a new name to the folder
you want them in. Then close the files.

When you open them again I think the links will be intact.