Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLookup in VBA

I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("A1:F 65000")

Why not just use whole columns

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("A:F" )

--
HTH

Bob

"Mike H." wrote in message
I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng =
Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't have a problem using the range, but I still get the run-time error 9,
subscript out of range when I use the line below:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("A:F" )

I am NOT in that workbook when I execute the code, if that makes a difference?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange

Regards,
Stefi

Mike H. ezt *rta:

I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think it was going through the names collection that solved the
problem. I think it was that Stefi added the .xls in the filename:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Sheets("Accounts").Range(" a:f")
or
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Sheets("Accounts").Range(" prlurng)

"Stefi" wrote:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange

Regards,
Stefi

Mike H. ezt *rta:

I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Partly yes, but there is another difference:

Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange
doesn't require specifying sheet,

Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Sheets("Accounts").Range(" prlurng")
does.

Regards,
Stefi

Dave Peterson ezt *rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange

Regards,
Stefi

âžMike H.❠ezt Ã*rta:

I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But I don't think that that is what made your code work. I bet it would have
had the same problem if you had used:

Workbooks("PRProc").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToRange

"Stefi" wrote:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange

Regards,
Stefi

âžMike H.❠ezt Ã*rta:

I am trying to use the Vlookup function in VBA and the lookup is to an
external workbook. I get a runtime Error 9 when setting the lookup range:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("$a$1 :$f$65000")

Actually, my reference is a named range so I'd rather refer to the name
instead, but not sure the syntax for that either:
Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc").Sheets("Accounts").Range("PRLU Rng")

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Agreed! In fact I learned an optional referring method from you. Earlier I
always used
Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange
style references, from now on I can consider using
Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Sheets("Accounts").Range(" prlurng")
method.

Regards,
Stefi

Dave Peterson ezt *rta:

Stefi wrote:

Partly yes, but there is another difference:

Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange
doesn't require specifying sheet,

Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Sheets("Accounts").Range(" prlurng")
does.

Regards,
Stefi

âžDave Peterson❠ezt Ã*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

Set lookuprng = Workbooks("PRProc.xls").Names("PRLUrng").RefersToR ange

Regards,
Stefi

ââ¬Å¾Mike H.ââ¬Â ezt ÃÂ*rta: