Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code for deleting rows?

I am working with a large data sample that is in a horrible format. It
includes a lot of rows of data that I do not need, and is in a format that no
simple sorting or filtering will not work to give me just the data I want.

Can anyone help me with some code to delete all rows that do not have "Agt"
or "Agent" in column A? If this is possible I would look for this to happen
in rows 6 through 5000.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ken
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this one

More info on this page
http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm

Sub Loop_Example()
Dim Firstrow As Long
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim Lrow As Long
Dim CalcMode As Long
Dim ViewMode As Long
Dim ArrNames As Variant

With Application
CalcMode = .Calculation
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
.ScreenUpdating = False
End With

'We use the ActiveSheet but you can replace this with
'Sheets("MySheet")if you want
With ActiveSheet

'We select the sheet so we can change the window view
.Select

'If you are in Page Break Preview Or Page Layout view go
'back to normal view, we do this for speed
ViewMode = ActiveWindow.View
ActiveWindow.View = xlNormalView

'Turn off Page Breaks, we do this for speed
.DisplayPageBreaks = False

'Set the first and last row to loop through
Firstrow = .UsedRange.Cells(1).Row
Lastrow = .UsedRange.Rows(.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Row

'array with names that we want to keep
ArrNames = Array("Agt", "Agent")

'We loop from Lastrow to Firstrow (bottom to top)
For Lrow = Lastrow To Firstrow Step -1

'We check the values in the A column in this example
With .Cells(Lrow, "A")

If Not IsError(.Value) Then

If IsError(Application.Match(.Value, ArrNames, 0)) Then .EntireRow.Delete

End If

End With

Next Lrow

End With

ActiveWindow.View = ViewMode
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.Calculation = CalcMode
End With

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"fpd833" wrote in message ...
I am working with a large data sample that is in a horrible format. It
includes a lot of rows of data that I do not need, and is in a format that no
simple sorting or filtering will not work to give me just the data I want.

Can anyone help me with some code to delete all rows that do not have "Agt"
or "Agent" in column A? If this is possible I would look for this to happen
in rows 6 through 5000.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excellent! Thank you Ron!

Can you help me with one last thing? In the line below:

ArrNames = Array("Agt", "Agent")

Is it possible to add a wildcard to "Agt"? Those are just the first 3
letters of the lines I'm looking for and are followed by more text. None of
the rows are unique and are being deleted as a result of the routine.

Thank you for your help, you're a godsend!

Ken

"fpd833" wrote in message ...
I am working with a large data sample that is in a horrible format. It
includes a lot of rows of data that I do not need, and is in a format that no
simple sorting or filtering will not work to give me just the data I want.

Can anyone help me with some code to delete all rows that do not have "Agt"
or "Agent" in column A? If this is possible I would look for this to happen
in rows 6 through 5000.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry for the late reply

Sub Loop_Example()
Dim Firstrow As Long
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim Lrow As Long
Dim CalcMode As Long
Dim ViewMode As Long

[...]

If .Value Like "Agt*" Or .Value Like "Agent*" Then
'do nothing
Else
.EntireRow.Delete

"fpd833" wrote in message ...
I am working with a large data sample that is in a horrible format. It
includes a lot of rows of data that I do not need, and is in a format that no
simple sorting or filtering will not work to give me just the data I want.

Can anyone help me with some code to delete all rows that do not have "Agt"
or "Agent" in column A? If this is possible I would look for this to happen
in rows 6 through 5000.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:
[...]

Ken- Hide quoted text -

From Phillip London UK

I was just browsing the group and saw your message
You may be interested in this solution as it is very fast
due to no physical looping of rows.
Also it uses wildcards as you requested
and the column A data can be sorted or unsorted

You can modify the range if you want to be A7:A65535

Sub tester()
Dim Crow As Long
Dim ArrNames As Variant
Dim Ele As Variant
ArrNames = Array("HR*", "AC*")
For Each Ele In ArrNames
Do While Not IsError(Application.Match(Ele, Range("A:A"),
0))
Crow = Application.Match(Ele, Range("A:A"), 0)
Rows(Crow).Delete
Loop
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Phillip wrote:
<<You may be interested in this solution as it is very fast due to no
physical looping of rows.

Not quite true. The code ...

Do While Not IsError(Application.Match...
Rows(Crow).Delete
Loop

.... is, in fact, a loop. It selects each matching row, one by one, and
deletes them, one at a time.

Data Autofiltering techniques may be faster, but take a little more effort
to set up.
Bill Renaud