Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default data validation with indirect ref to dynamic range

Am I correct in thinking that I can't do a data validation list, where I use
Indirect to refer to a cell that contains the name of a dynamic range in
another sheet?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That appears to be the case. I suspect that using INDIRECT causes Excel to
return an Array Constant, which is not valid as a DV source. Whereas,
directly referencing the Dynamic Range Name returns the actual list.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that I can't do a data validation list, where I
use Indirect to refer to a cell that contains the name of a dynamic range
in another sheet?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Ron,

That's what I'm seeing.

On further investigation it doesn't even seem to work outside of DV on the
same sheet. In other words, if I try an Indirect reference to a dynamic
range on the same sheet it doesn't works. Funny, I thought it did.

Doug

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
That appears to be the case. I suspect that using INDIRECT causes Excel
to return an Array Constant, which is not valid as a DV source. Whereas,
directly referencing the Dynamic Range Name returns the actual list.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that I can't do a data validation list, where I
use Indirect to refer to a cell that contains the name of a dynamic range
in another sheet?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are instructions and a sample file here for dependent validation
with a dynamic list:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#Dynamic

--
Debra Dalgleish