Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Instead of the word "dropped" could I use an arrow?

In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

format the cell with the formula for the font windings

=IF(D31E31,char(233),char(234))

or use another font that has an arrow more to your liking - but you see the
approach.

Tom Ogilvy

"pgarcia" wrote:

In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

WingDings is a font that you get through FormatCellsFont
The code Tom gave you is a formula to be pasted into the cell where you want
the arrow to appear.

"pgarcia" wrote:

In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi pgarcia.
Try:
=IF(D31E31;"h";"i")
formatting Wingdings 3 and Bold
Regards
Eliano

On 13 Set, 22:32, pgarcia wrote:
In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Char(234) is an ASCII code which will print a character of some type
depending on which font is being used. You can do the same thing with the
code that eliano has supplied you. The point of using either of formulas is
that the arrow symbol resides in the WingDings font. If the cell is
formatted for WingDings either formula should work.

"pgarcia" wrote:

In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Windows Start button|Run
type:
charmap
and hit enter

In WinXP, CharMap is buried under the Accessories|System Tools program group.

ps. If you're using office 2002+, you can use:
Insert|symbol

Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower).
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
(look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know where it can be downloaded.

But maybe you can go into control panel and see if you can add the accessories
to Windows (add/remove programs, then Add/remove windows components (under
accessories and utilities). (in WinXP anyway)

"pgarcia" wrote:

In my spread sheet I would like to us a arrow to show if an amount dropped or
went up in amount. This is what I have for now:
=IF(D31E31,"Up","Dropped")
I would like to have a black arrow for up and a red one for dropped.
VB maybe?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only by opening Character map and scrolling through the list.

You can see the hex representation for any selected symbol at the bottom of the
dialog.

Or you could convert your hex number to decimal (=hex2dec()) and use =char() to
see the result--format it as your favorite font.

So with 77 in A1 and this in B1:
=CHAR(HEX2DEC(A1))
I saw a w (using the Arial font).