Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default help on Converting R1C1 to A1 and A1 to R1C1..tia sa2

Greets All,
I'm looking for a formula of VB script in excel to calculate between reference style and formula style tia sal2
Example If A1:Q18 is typed in I would like R1C1:R18C17 to show up or vise a versa in another cell...can this be done?
Also can I add rows and coumns togather.
Example can I do this R1C1 + R2C3 = R3C4 or A1 + B2 = C3
Tia
sal2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you type in the formula in absolute form (i.e. "=$A$1:$Q$18), then
pull down the Tools menu, select Options, then click on the General tab,
then check the "R1C1 reference style, you will see "=R1C1:R18C17" in the
formula bar. Copy and paste from there.

If you leave the formula in relative form (i.e. "=A1:Q18"), you will get
"==RC:R[17]C[16]".
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

sal2 wrote:
<<Example can I do this R1C1 + R2C3 = R3C4 or A1 + B2 = C3

You can't have operators on the left side of an equation.
Otherwise see my previous reply about using absolute/relative
references.
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use Application.convertformula in VBA

MsgBox Application.ConvertFormula(ActiveCell.Formula, xlA1, xlR1C1)

MsgBox Application.ConvertFormula("=R" & (1 + 2) & "C" & (1 + 3), xlR1C1,
xlA1)

Charles
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.3 now available