Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula JLI

I recently recorded a macro to enter a collection of symbols into an Excel
cell.

The code created places a formula in the activecell which appears as JLI
subsequent instructions chooses the font name in my case wingdings.

What does JLI mean and how does it know which characters from the wingdings
set to use ?

If I run the macro it works but I do not konw why!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like your code is not formatting the cells as Wingdings after entering
text.

JLI formatted to wingdings would leave a smiley face, a frowny face and a right
hand.

Post your code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:56:21 -0700, Nigel RS
wrote:

I recently recorded a macro to enter a collection of symbols into an Excel
cell.

The code created places a formula in the activecell which appears as JLI
subsequent instructions chooses the font name in my case wingdings.

What does JLI mean and how does it know which characters from the wingdings
set to use ?

If I run the macro it works but I do not konw why!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingdings

In article ,
Nigel RS wrote:

I recently recorded a macro to enter a collection of symbols into an Excel
cell.

The code created places a formula in the activecell which appears as JLI
subsequent instructions chooses the font name in my case wingdings.

What does JLI mean and how does it know which characters from the wingdings
set to use ?

If I run the macro it works but I do not konw why!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is the code, but I now have it! The thing that mislead me was the macro
recorder creating the text entry using FormulaR1C1. All it is doing is
entering the text, the formatting to windings creates the symbols required.
Why it could not just set the value to 'JDI' I do not know?

Thanks for your help.

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "JLI"
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=3).Font
.Name = "Wingdings"
.FontStyle = "Regular"
.Size = 10
.Strikethrough = False