Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default splitting text in one column into multiple columns

I have a workbook of date that I need to convert into a Pivot table/chart.
However, the headings that I need to sort on are all listed in column A. I
need to split this column into multiple columns for sorting purposes. Each
text stream in column A is starts with a "xxxxx :" ...where xxxx is
'resource', 'project', 'task', 'phase', 'activity'.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a sample of the column....

Resource: Alex S
1 FTE

Project: Genesis
Task: Test Director Setup
Project: Rating
Task: Delivery
Project: Statistical Plan
Phase: Execution Phase
Project: Claims
Activity: Initiate / Plan / Execute / Closeout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
if i understand, you want to convert a column of data to a row of data?
if so then....
select the column. on the toolbaredit copy
then Editpastespecialtranspose

If your column is more that 256 rows, you will get an error. if so, then
transpose the column is sections less than 256 rows.

hope this helped
regards
FSt1

"Flaminstar" wrote:

I have a workbook of date that I need to convert into a Pivot table/chart.
However, the headings that I need to sort on are all listed in column A. I
need to split this column into multiple columns for sorting purposes. Each
text stream in column A is starts with a "xxxxx :" ...where xxxx is
'resource', 'project', 'task', 'phase', 'activity'.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a sample of the column....

Resource: Alex S
1 FTE

Project: Genesis
Task: Test Director Setup
Project: Rating
Task: Delivery
Project: Statistical Plan
Phase: Execution Phase
Project: Claims
Activity: Initiate / Plan / Execute / Closeout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi....Thanks for your response however that is not what I'm trying to
achieve. When I do a tranpose for say 200 rows...it spreads it all of it
across one row.
What I want to do is like this...

Take 'Project: xxx' in column A and move the 'xxxx' part to column b
Take 'Task: xxx' in column A and move the 'xxxx' part to column c
Take 'Activity: xxx' in column A and move the 'xxxx' part to column d
Take 'Resource: nnnnn' in column A and move the 'nnnnn' part to column e

Thanks

"Flaminstar" wrote:

I have a workbook of date that I need to convert into a Pivot table/chart.
However, the headings that I need to sort on are all listed in column A. I
need to split this column into multiple columns for sorting purposes. Each
text stream in column A is starts with a "xxxxx :" ...where xxxx is
'resource', 'project', 'task', 'phase', 'activity'.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a sample of the column....

Resource: Alex S
1 FTE

Project: Genesis
Task: Test Director Setup
Project: Rating
Task: Delivery
Project: Statistical Plan
Phase: Execution Phase
Project: Claims
Activity: Initiate / Plan / Execute / Closeout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Flaminstar" wrote:

I have a workbook of date that I need to convert into a Pivot table/chart.
However, the headings that I need to sort on are all listed in column A. I
need to split this column into multiple columns for sorting purposes. Each
text stream in column A is starts with a "xxxxx :" ...where xxxx is
'resource', 'project', 'task', 'phase', 'activity'.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a sample of the column....

Resource: Alex S
1 FTE

Project: Genesis
Task: Test Director Setup
Project: Rating
Task: Delivery
Project: Statistical Plan
Phase: Execution Phase
Project: Claims
Activity: Initiate / Plan / Execute / Closeout

If the ":" after the Project/Task label you could just use something
like the following:

=RIGHT("Your Text",LEN("Your Text")-FIND(":","Your Text"))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi.... Yes, I've been trying that but keep getting #Value errors...

Thank you....

"Ferris" wrote:

"Flaminstar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Again.... I've got something working. I have to copy it to every cell,
but it works so far....

Here's what I used....=MID(A86,1,FIND(":",A86,1)-1)

Thanks for your help...you pointed me in the right direction...

"Flaminstar" wrote:

Hi.... Yes, I've been trying that but keep getting #Value errors...

Thank you....