Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Unauthorized Movers!

I made a protected template for my dad and, despite my warnings,
occasionally he moves (cuts and pastes) one of the input cells which screws
up the equations. Is there a way to set it up so he can edit the input
cells but not move them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

He's about 2500 miles away!

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Have you considered spanking?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dean" wrote in message
I made a protected template for my dad and, despite my warnings,
occasionally he moves (cuts and pastes) one of the input cells which
screws up the equations. Is there a way to set it up so he can edit the
input cells but not move them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dean" wrote...
I made a protected template for my dad and, despite my warnings,
occasionally he moves (cuts and pastes) one of the input cells which
screws up the equations. Is there a way to set it up so he can edit the
input cells but not move them?

Try putting the following code into the ThisWorkbook class module of the
workbook.

Private Sub Workbook_SheetDeactivate(ByVal Sh As Object)
If Application.CutCopyMode = xlCut Then Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, _
ByVal Target As Range)
If Application.CutCopyMode = xlCut Then Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_WindowDeactivate(ByVal Wn As Window)
If Application.CutCopyMode = xlCut Then Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

This will turn off Cut mode when he moves around within the same worksheet,
moves to a different worksheet, or moves to a different workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perhaps I needed to be more explicit. Actually, my dad doesn't even know
how to cut and paste. But what he does know is how to move by dragging the
contents of a cell with his mouse. I always assumed that such was exactly
the same as cut and paste, but it seems to not be true since your procedure
seems to hush the paste icon, but does not impede clicking and dragging.
Can you help prevent that?

Dean

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Dean" wrote...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dean" wrote...
Perhaps I needed to be more explicit. Actually, my dad doesn't
even know how to cut and paste. But what he does know is how to
move by dragging the contents of a cell with his mouse. . . .

Can you help prevent that?

Tools Options, Edit tab, uncheck 'Allow cell drag and drop'.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Silly me - I knew that once!

I assume that then becomes a global EXCEL setting, but can I have this file
uncheck it when he opens the file and recheck it when he exits (or when he
resaves it)?

Dean

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Dean" wrote...
Perhaps I needed to be more explicit. Actually, my dad doesn't
even know how to cut and paste. But what he does know is how to
move by dragging the contents of a cell with his mouse. . . .

Can you help prevent that?

Tools Options, Edit tab, uncheck 'Allow cell drag and drop'.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dean" wrote...
I assume that then becomes a global EXCEL setting, but can I have this file
uncheck it when he opens the file and recheck it when he exits (or when he
resaves it)?

Record the method calls involved while performing these operations manually,
then add the unchecking code to the workbook's Open and Activate event
handlers and the checking code to the workbook's BeforeClose and Deactivate
event handlers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Open your workbook
Hit alt-F11 to get to the VBE
Hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer (like windows explorer)
Select your project
Hit the asterisk on the numeric keypad (not above the 8 on the QWERTY keys)

Doubleclick on ThisWorkbook (for your workbook's project)

On the right hand side, you'll see the code window.

Use the dropdown on the top left of that window to choose: Workbook

You can use the righthand side dropdown to choose from the available events
(Workbook_Open and Workbook_Activate).

Dean wrote:

Kindly remind me how I get to these two event handlers.

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Dean" wrote...
I assume that then becomes a global EXCEL setting, but can I have this
file
uncheck it when he opens the file and recheck it when he exits (or when he
resaves it)?

Record the method calls involved while performing these operations
manually, then add the unchecking code to the workbook's Open and Activate
event handlers and the checking code to the workbook's BeforeClose and
Deactivate event handlers.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The original thread has disappeared off my newsreader.

But I bet Harlan was suggesting that you need two events--one when you close the
workbook and one when you move to a different workbook.

I don't really know what you're trying to accomplish.

Dean wrote:

Thanks much! I guess you're saying to put each command in two event
handlers, in case you manually undo it when moving to another file?

Dean wrote:

Kindly remind me how I get to these two event handlers.

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Dean" wrote...
I assume that then becomes a global EXCEL setting, but can I have this
file
uncheck it when he opens the file and recheck it when he exits (or when
he
resaves it)?

Record the method calls involved while performing these operations
manually, then add the unchecking code to the workbook's Open and
Activate
event handlers and the checking code to the workbook's BeforeClose and
Deactivate event handlers.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You'd want to tell your dad to uncheck it.

I didn't remember what you asked when I was typing the instructions.

Dean wrote:

Since I don't have EXCEL 2007, I can't verify, but this seems like (checking
the box) it is to allow cell drag and drop (or allow after an alert). Am I
right? What I want to do is NOT EVER allow it. The user is my elderly dad
and even the query would confuse him.

IN about six weeks, when I visit, I hope to set up a short cut for remote
assistance for the future, but I could not walk him thru it, especially
since he has bought a computer with Vista, which I hope to downgrade to XP
when I get there.

Thanks!
Dean

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Open excel
Click on the Office button (top left corner)
Click on Excel Options botton (on the bottom)
Click on the Advanced category (left hand side)
Near the top:
Editing Options Group
Look for (and check)
Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop
and probably(???)
Alert before overwriting cells

======
If you're both using winXP, you may want to try establishing a NetMeeting.
The
other user may be able to share his desktop and you could see everything
that he
does (right or wrong!).

Windows|Start button|Run
type:
conf
(for conference?)
and hit enter

He'll have to know your IP address to connect to you, though.
I use: http://www.whatismyip.com

=========
NetMeeting doesn't exist in Vista. But there is an option you can use:

Windows start button|Help and Support
Under the Ask for Assistance:
Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance

(This is available in WindowsXP, too. But I like NetMeeting better if I
can use
it.)

Dean wrote:

<< Tools Options, Edit tab, uncheck 'Allow cell drag and drop'

My dad has, without asking me, upgraded to EXCEL 2007. I need to tell
him,
over the phone, how to set this global setting in his new version EXCEL.
Can someone tell me how to do this in EXCEL 2007, so I can read it to
him,
setup by step, over the phone?

I thought I had already set this up via opening and closing macros, but
it
appears I did not, so this is a quick fix until I can visit him (he does
not
know how to undo it so, if it's still a global setting, that will do for
now).